PDA

View Full Version : soup bone?

2TMama
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
We got some freezer beef yesterday..........got a couple soup bones in the mix of everything else.

Have you ever used a soup bone? I'm sure my Grandma could tell me ........but ladies, please enlighten me how to make the most of a "soup bone" :yes

jtidwell
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
The simplest answer I can think of: roast it in your oven for a little while, crack it open (if you can!), and put it in a pot with cold water. Heat slowly. Simmer for several hours, skimming the foam and discolored stuff at first. Don't let it come to a hard boil. :) If you want to add flavor to the broth, add some meat trimmings, onions, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, whatever you like in beef soup.

Once the broth has simmered for a few hours and the veggies are exhausted, turn off the heat and pour ladles of it through a strainer into another container. Let it cool a bit. Salt it if you want, or not, and then store it in jars in your fridge -- or freeze it. Now you have a great base for beef soup, beef stroganoff, bean soups, gravy, and so on. Very nourishing, and much tastier than off-the-shelf broths!

2TMama
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you! :heart

Is it a world's difference than storebought stock?? :think

Serafine
02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
a) crockpot with carrots/celery/onion/garlic and water - low overnight or all day.
b) crockpot with soaked black beans and water - low overnight or all day
c) crockpot with pintos or other soaked beans and water - low overnight or all day

BarefootBetsy
02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I either use them to make stock or put them in a beef stew instead of using stock. To make stock, I soak them in apple cider vinegar water for about half an hour and then bring to a boil and turn the heat down while skimming the foam off the top. Then I add vegetable ends and bring to a low boil again (my vegetable ends come from the freezer - I amass them over the course of several weeks) and then simmer while covered for 24 hours. Makes the best stock I've ever had :yes

jtidwell
02-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh! Cider vinegar! Yes, I forgot that -- the vinegar is really nice because the acid helps dissolve calcium out of the bones and into the stock. Probably other trace minerals too. Also, I like a very slight acidic taste to stocks, as a counterbalance to the meatiness and (sometimes) saltiness.

JoyGal
02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
My dh made a moose soup stock last autumn and it is absolutely a.m.a.z.i.n.g :yum Have to admit, I was pretty leary, but it is so much better than any store bought stock. He made it in a big stock pot on the camp stove outside.

Lily
02-05-2011, 03:05 PM
There is a night and day difference between store bought and homemade stock!