PDA

View Full Version : "You know, mom, I think I have it a lot harder than

ArmsOfLove
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
children who get punished." Liam, 13 years old

:grin

This is his observation in the context of a discussion of him going to summer camp this summer and my concerns over things that sometimes go on at camps, etc. He continued the observation, "They just get grounded or whatever. I lost trust and privileges. I have to work hard to earn those back and it's important that I make the right choices to keep them."

:heart

We talked about how the freedoms he has at his age have been earned by him and if he were to show himself not able to handle them then it would be a very natural consequence that the freedoms go away until the trust is restored. And we talked about how making amends means you get the chance to make things right and grow up and learn to make better choices and clean up messes--and learn how to not make them.

My son has been GBD'd from birth--he's the reason that I have a lot of the tools and ideas I can offer to moms and dads. I thought some of you might appreciate the encouragement :heart

Ajoy
02-04-2011, 12:18 AM
That's awesome!!! My dd is only 2, I hope one day she'll be as insightful as your son. That's great! :)

mommy2abigail
02-04-2011, 06:52 AM
:heart Thank you for posting that...I needed to read that this morning!!:hugheart

MommyInTraining
02-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Sigh. It was one of "those days" today. Thank you for posting this!!

April G
02-05-2011, 01:09 AM
:tu My 7 yo's favorite and most used words are "consequences" and "inappropriate". :giggle

poleidopy
02-05-2011, 02:18 AM
:heart

TraceMama
02-05-2011, 05:51 AM
:rockon :heart