PDA

View Full Version : Knitting help-picot edge?

StumblinMama
02-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Almost finished with a skirt for dd2 and I'm working on the ruffle at the bottom. I don't understand the bolded. (well, I think I understand basically what it's saying, but need an explanation of how to do it :giggle)

Then knit in stockinette stitch for 16 rnds (18 for dk weight yarn).Next round: *k2tog, yo*, repeat * to the end of the round.
Knit for 4 rounds more (5 rounds more for dk weight yarn).
Bind off.

Fold at the yarn overs, and sew the bound off edge to the inside of the skirt (ie a picot edge finish).
Can anyone explain this or link me to a tutorial pretty please :ty3

Marielle
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/04/16/adding-a-no_2D00_roll-hem-to-a-stockinette-sweater.aspx

Does this help? You're basically creating a bit of knitting to fold up as the hem so the hem doesn't go all curly and wonky while wearing/washing. The one in the above link is done first before knitting the garment so they're able to avoid having to sew up the hem by doing a provisional cast on but your instructions have you knitting the hem last and thus sewing it up after bindoff.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

here's another pic (look under the one titled Worked At The Cast On Edge).

http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Picot_Hem

You're doing the same thing but instead of knitting the two two together to bring the hem up and reveal the picot edge you'll be binding off and sewing the bound off edge up to the inside of the garment.

mipennsn
02-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I once bound off a shawl of over 200 stitches when you cast -on 2 to bind off 4 total stitches. It was so worth it on the shawl, but I was ready to pull my hair out by the time I was done. You will end up with very nice edge by following those directions.

StumblinMama
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
:doh :ty I was waaaaaaaaay overcomplicating that :giggle I feel like a silly nilly for not getting that.