PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here machine quilt..

Six Little Feet
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I need something and the costs I am looking seem step. Anyone????

Barefoot Bookworm
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I do but I'm still a newbie at it so I can't promise I know the answer.

expatmom
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I do, but only for myself. The time investment required wouldn't make it worth doing it to sell. I know you can take a quilt top to the MCC & they will quilt it for you, but it is costly.

Can'tTurnLeft
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I do, but only for myself. The time investment required wouldn't make it worth doing it to sell. I know you can take a quilt top to the MCC & they will quilt it for you, but it is costly.

This. It is pricy because it is time consuming and mind numbingly boring

Six Little Feet
02-02-2011, 09:56 PM

The quilt is made. I just want it sewn together so I can wash it.

Marielle
02-03-2011, 05:24 AM
I think that's what expatmom is referring to. That the quilting portion can be done by a long arm quilter in your area. Or is it that you need the binding sewn on Sheryl?

It's good to shop around for the best price/best quality but remember that it's a creative labor and usually something people pay a pretty penny for to not do themselves. ;) aka: expensive

Six Little Feet
02-03-2011, 08:40 AM
I have the quilt all put together. It is really a glorified rag quilt. One side is minky, the other side is quilters cotton, and there is flannel in the middle. I was using yarn at each intersection and just pulling it through and tying it, but it is hard to push through and taking so long..i just thought it would be nice to get it done faster.

I don't see what would be creative about it-it is just running a machine over a finished quilt. Am I missing something?

I guess i gust have to find a really sharp and strong needle to run the yarn through...any suggestions?

Marielle
02-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Knowing how to set thread tension, move a large piece of sandwiched fabric in a sewing machine and keeping it smooth while making any pattern is definitely creative and at the very least worth the price that the person who does it chooses to set.

you can definitely get a better needle if you want to tie it but like most things in life if you want someone else to do it you'll pay for it.

Let me find a tute from a while back on tieing quilts.

Six Little Feet
02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
See, I have no idea what is involved. I thought that it would be more like 40 dollars. But 60-70 dollars is out of my budget. I just can't pay more to get that done that it cost to make the quilt. I guess I have to get moving on the hand sewing.

Thanks for the explanation.

Marielle
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Here's a bit of help to make tieing easier
http://www.quiltbug.com/Articles/tying-a-quilt.htm

No problem it's easy to not see what goes into it and I do understand finding.g it expensive. I've yet to send out a quilt to be quilted because it's too rich for my blood. ;) however if it were a king sized quilt I would definitely at least consider it.