PDA

View Full Version : I am totally disillusioned about "skillet cookies" ;)

forty-two
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I always thought you actually *cooked* them in the skillet, as in on the stove. But no, apparently, skillet chocolate chip cookies, so called, are actually baked in the oven :hunh:scratch. So what makes them so very much different than baking the equivalent recipe in any big pan? I mean, dh says that cast iron bakes quite a bit different than, say, pyrex or aluminum or whatnot - but is that really enough to justify all the praise? (And we don't *have* a cast iron skillet, and staring at the picture with the recipe is making my mouth water - I want to get on with the baking ;).)

hey mommy
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Recipe??? That sounds yummy..

forty-two
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Recipe??? That sounds yummy..

Completely forget to include it :doh: One-pan skillet cookie (http://www.sophistimom.com/one-pan-skillet-cookie/).

Proverbs31
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
:yum

Do you think it would work with a dutch oven? I don't have any oven-safe skillets, but I do have a dutch oven...

hey mommy
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh man, I HAVE to make those soon.. Thank goodness I have 2 cast iron skillets..

Thank you!!!!

forty-two
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
:yum

Do you think it would work with a dutch oven? I don't have any oven-safe skillets, but I do have a dutch oven...

Don't know why not :shrug3 - but that's not exactly an informed opinion ;).

Proverbs31
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
oh, I just re-read and that the cast iron is supposed to make the difference...my dutch oven isn't cast iron.

(I'm tempted to try it anyway. I can't stand baking cookies because it's so putzy...sticking it all in at once would certainly be an improvement on the process!)

Marrae
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Ooooooooooh! That recipe and picture looks delicious. :) TFS.

light of mine
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
:rockon I have all the ingredients and am SO making this tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Lily
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Would it be mean to send DH out in the snow for chocolate chunks and ice cream? I think not.

mamaKristin
02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
hrumph. :snooty Thanks for sharing. Those sound way too delicious to not make. But if I make them, I will eat them. This is QUITE the problem. :snooty

ShangriLewis
02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh that looks like a great way to get my daily iron in:giggle

allisonintx
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I love to make brownies in the waffle iron.

ShangriLewis
02-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Allison knock that off.

hey mommy
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh that looks like a great way to get my daily iron in:giggle

That's what I was thinking.. cooking them in cast iron makes them healthy. :)

Stacy
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I love to make brownies in the waffle iron.

wuh? :hunh Please, explain! Do I need a special, extra thick recipe? How the heck do I get the waffle iron clean after I'm done? HOW DOES THIS WORK?!! :giggle

Castle On A Cloud
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Oooh... I need to try this. SHould i use my little cast iron or my big one...:lol

believer
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
I made one. :yum I modified the recipe. I used about half the amount of butter and blended some applesauce and cooked butternut squash together with the egg and a little maple syrup and cut the sugar back by about half and used half white flour and half home ground flour - mix of kamut, oatmeal, almonds, lentils, millet and I used part chocolate chips and part m&ms. So mine was semi-healthy - sort of?

allisonintx
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I make brownie mix, by the box directions with slightly less fluid, and then spray the iron with pam for every.single.browniewaffle.

TuneMyHeart
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
why must you people post about food? :banghead somebody want to make me one of these? I'll supply the ingredients! :P~

Mother of Sons
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I've done brownies on a griddle. I just use a pancake ring. They come out really cute.

believer
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Here is a photo - sorry - did not get one before we ate most of it. The swirl is because it was hot when I stirred in the choc chips and they melted some and the colors are the m&ms
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dbjorn/feb2011kittensmittenscookie010.jpg

ShangriLewis
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Really people. I have no more energy tonight.

righteous mama
02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
They make these at a pizza place near us (BJ's Pizza). They are sooooo good. I would like one right now please.

Stacy
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I honestly think my husband will kill me if I try and make brownies in our waffle iron. :lol But, I am so trying it! :giggle:

I just made trad'l choc chip cookies yesterday and don't have a skillet, but this is sure one to try! Yum.

Iarwain
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I Am also disappointed to see that they require the oven. I was hoping for a recipe I could modify for camping.

Soooo... ARE there cookies that can be done on the stovetop? Because even though these look yummy, if I'm heating the oven up I'm making a batch big enough for everyone.

Cherish
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I made this last night. :cool I made a batch and a half because my pan was bigger than hers. It came out fantastic! The kids were in heaven with some non-fat fro yo on top. Oh, and I used whole wheat pastry flour and subbed out some of the flour for oatbran. They had no idea. :) Next time I will use half the butter called for and sub in either apple sauce or pumpkin, I think.

alexas
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I Am also disappointed to see that they require the oven. I was hoping for a recipe I could modify for camping.

Soooo... ARE there cookies that can be done on the stovetop? Because even though these look yummy, if I'm heating the oven up I'm making a batch big enough for everyone.
i wonder if you could do them in a cast iron dutch oven in the coals? and maybe a few coals on the lid, too?

Peridot
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I honestly think my husband will kill me if I try and make brownies in our waffle iron. :lol But, I am so trying it! :giggle:

:yes so would mine!

ShangriLewis
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
I think they would work for camping if you put it in the coals and kept the lid on.

forty-two
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Well, I went ahead and made them in pyrex dishes :giggle:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/forty-two_03/skillet_cookie.jpg

The big one is regular, though with ww flour, and the little one is gf and chocolate-free, for A - I mixed up the recipe as directed, and took some of the batter out to add to A's gf mix before I added the ww flour. Worked out pretty well, and is very tasty - all ooey gooey, eat with a spoon, just like I wanted ;).

ETA: I went with the one "bowl" mixing method, too - just mixed it all up in the pyrex pans, melting the butter in the microwave ;).

Iarwain
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, by camping I meant camp stove. :doh I don't have a dutch oven and one of the places we camp every year we can't do a fire. I did get inspired to google some recipes though. I haven't found anything quite this yummy looking but there's plenty of time between now and then.

TuneMyHeart
02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
so how are these different from regular chocolate chip cookies? I typically make 3-4 batches of cookies at a time, so this would get eaten very quickly.

Cherish
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
It had a firm outer crust and was almost like a gooey lava thing in the middle :)

TuneMyHeart
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I finally made this today and it's REALLY good. :yum E loves it too, which is huge because she only likes ONE kind of chocolate chip/oatmeal/coconut cookie that I make.

I would cut the salt in half, btw.

MTmomma
02-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I tried this last night, and oh man was it gooooooooood! I substituted half the butter with applesauce and cut back on the sugar a bit. Oh, and I accidentally added the chocolate chips a bit too soon so they completely melted making one big chocolate cookie. Even so, it was delicious!

Iarwain
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
So, say someone were reading a thread about skillet cookies on GCM and *really* wanted some cookies. Say that someone also wanted to know if it was at least possible to make them on the stovetop. As it would be an experiment, she might not be inclined to follow the recipe and instead might just throw a bunch of cookie-ish ingredients in the pan. How do you think that might turn out?

I'll have the answer in ten minutes or so.

chasingbutterflies
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
wow. those look SO GOOD. Will have to attempt tonight & report back.

hey mommy
02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Soo, you can use reg. chocolate chips and not chunks? Crud.. I might have to make this tomorrow.. DH is going to freak since I'm supposed to be eating healthy and losing weight..

OOh, I can take them to his moms on Sun. SCORE!!! :)

April G
02-05-2011, 01:06 AM
So, say someone were reading a thread about skillet cookies on GCM and *really* wanted some cookies. Say that someone also wanted to know if it was at least possible to make them on the stovetop. As it would be an experiment, she might not be inclined to follow the recipe and instead might just throw a bunch of cookie-ish ingredients in the pan. How do you think that might turn out?

I'll have the answer in ten minutes or so.

:poke Your ten minutes is up. OH, and this thread is making my stomach growl... but it's past midnight so I am NOT eating anything. :snooty

Iarwain
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
It came out OK but not great. It was probably quite good for not using a recipe. I did wind up having to flip it because the bottom was starting to burn. If anyone else wants to try it I strongly recommend setting the heat very low and of course cover the pan. Medium heat isn't low enough.

chasingbutterflies
02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Made them last night - oh my goodness, SO GOOD.

I modified the recipe. I used 4T Earth Balance/4T applesauce, we couldn't taste the applesauce at all. 1/2C regular sugar, probably 1/4 + 1/8th C brown sugar. Used 1tsp baking powder instead of the 1/2 tsp baking soda. Used regular salt b/c that's what we had. Did about 1T plain soy yogurt instead of an egg. Used white flour because it was what we had (are we detecting a theme here? :roll) And then I cut up some semisweet TJs chocolate bars for the chocolate and only had 1/2 cup of chunks.

Next time, I'm going to do more brown sugar, less white sugar, and use a full cup of chocolate chunks. Yum.

TuneMyHeart
02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, they're not very good after they've cooled off. Eat them hot!

chasingbutterflies
02-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Hm, mine were really good this morning too (not that I had one during breakfast or anything :shifty) but I stored them in an air tight container overnight. If you didn't try that, I'd try it. Because they were definitely better warm, but still good this morning?

high speed wobble
02-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I haven't looked up the recipe yet but plan to! Yes a cast iron skillet does make a difference in the cooking. It will make a much crispier bottom and side. You wouldn't be able to get that from glass or metal. It's amazing to cook many things with. You can get one for a pretty good price at walmart I know. They are well worth the money and last FOREVER! Our nonstick pans sure don't stay good for very many years but cast iron can be passed down for a long time:yes

hey mommy
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Okay, C and I made them tonight... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/mommy2cias/th_IMG_8594.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/mommy2cias/IMG_8594.jpg)

I can get a better pic. up later, but it's time to eat dinner so we can indulge in dessert(which we do like, once a year)