PDA

View Full Version : I remember when I told Reb I wouldn't start one knitting project until I was done w/

ArmsOfLove
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
the one I was working on. She informed me I might have multiple things going at some time. I heeded her as someone more experienced at knitting than myself ;)

So here I sit with one set of needles making washcloths, my large set of needles busy in a prayer shawl that is just plain knitting so it's in my bag for when I'm out and about or talking with someone to keep my hands busy without having to pay too much attention, and my small needles entrenched in socks which is my new-learn so I'm doing that when I can concentrate and have my brain focused.

Yeah, yet again, Reb was right :giggle

Kiara.I
02-01-2011, 07:42 PM
:giggle
Yeah, I just tried to start a new knitting project tonight--to find that the size of needle I want isn't in the case. :scratch So it must be in a project. Errrrr....which one? Where? :doh
And I can't find my needle gauge either, so I can't double-check needle sizes. :doh

backtobasicsmum
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Isn't Reb always right, when it comes to knitting?

Maggirayne
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM

4MKfam
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Knitting is the one area of my life where I welcome a little bit of attention scattering and controlled chaos :yes. Far better than boredom and obligation :tu

ncsweetpea
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, yet again, Reb was right :giggle

Yep, she usually is--that's why we love her!

musicmama
02-02-2011, 06:41 AM

RosalieMarie
02-02-2011, 06:49 AM

:yes

Wonder Woman
02-02-2011, 07:17 AM
:lol Got you all fooled :shifty I'm still an amateur at knitting!!

But yeah, I was right on this one, Crystal. ADD brains weren't meant for one project at a time :shifty :giggle

UltraMother
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
That is where the term yarn harlot (http://yarnharlot.ca) comes from. :mrgreen

TraceMama
02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

I'd go so far as to say Reb is most often right about many things that don't include knitting at all. ;) :heart

shaslove
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
So wish I could knit. My wrists just can't do it. :sigh

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 05:10 AM
at the risk of saying something I may be proven wrong about :shifty I did find that Continental style knitting never, ever triggers my carpal tunnel - whereas English has me in agony after an hour of knitting :think For whatever reason, the grip seems to be easier for my wrists.
They also make square needles (http://www.kollageyarns.com/needles.html) that are supposed to help w/that.

UM, I had a chance to take classes w/the Yarn Harlot, but the class size was so limited that it sold out in the time between when I found out and a week later when I had the $$ to register. :mad :sigh I'm debating going to the retreat anyway, just to meet her - I could still register for the Cat Bordhi class :think

TraceMama
02-03-2011, 05:32 AM
So, out of curiosity, is Crystal using the Continental or English method? :nosy :O

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Continental - I won't teach English :snooty :giggle
I actually started knitting Continental for two reasons - my FIL and his cousin both laughed at me when I was knitting English, told me I was doing it wrong, etc.

It was with an immense amount of satisfaction that I was able to show them later on that they were, in fact, doing what is referred to as French knitting in which the right needle is held in a very awkward way, and it is listed as the slowest of the three knitting styles :shifty :giggle

Also, I was complaining about how slow it was and how much my wrists hurt and Punkie told me to go look up Continental knitting on YouTube, that I would never look back - and she was right! :grin

TraceMama
02-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Off to look at YouTube! :grin If you and Punkie and Crystal do it, then I want to, too! :P~ :heart

And, my carpal tunnel has seriously been killing me practicing the way I was taught. :yes2

ncsweetpea
02-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Continental does look faster--there's something about it that is reminiscent of a crochet stitch IMO. If I have started a project in English and then switch, will there be any sort of noticeable difference where I switched stitch methods?

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 06:38 AM
it is much more reminiscent of crochet (and needle tatting) which is why it felt so intuitive for me :yes
You may notice a gauge difference if you switch in the middle of a project, though - mine actually loosened quite a bit, although I still knit tightly enough that I have to go up 1-2 needle sizes to get gauge on things.

shaslove
02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
at the risk of saying something I may be proven wrong about :shifty I did find that Continental style knitting never, ever triggers my carpal tunnel - whereas English has me in agony after an hour of knitting :think For whatever reason, the grip seems to be easier for my wrists.
They also make square needles (http://www.kollageyarns.com/needles.html) that are supposed to help w/that.

UM, I had a chance to take classes w/the Yarn Harlot, but the class size was so limited that it sold out in the time between when I found out and a week later when I had the $$ to register. :mad :sigh I'm debating going to the retreat anyway, just to meet her - I could still register for the Cat Bordhi class :think

Can I ask a dumb question and ask what is Continental knitting? I am pretty sure I english knit...it hurts BAD.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

mmm...youtube here I come!

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 09:10 AM
here's a really helpful video: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Kiara.I
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
:sigh
I can knit both English and Continental--I made sure I knew how so that I could do colourwork with one colour in each hand.

But...English feels more "natural" to me. I *know* Continental is faster. I *know* it's better for the wrists. But every time I pick up a new project, I think about starting it in Continental, shiver, and then do English because it just feels more comfortable.

:help How can I switch? Hmmm....maybe I should look up combination knitting, maybe it would appeal more to my sense of :glasses

TraceMama
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Reb, now I'm wondering if you have a preferred method of casting on as well. :O

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
:giggle how did you know :shifty
For most projects I like the long tail caston :tu I will try to dig up a video when I get home...

mipennsn
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I was watching Knitting Daily the other day that then talked about Portuguese Knitting. Here is a site (http://www.stoneybrookecottage.com/articles.htm) about it.

RosalieMarie
02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
:giggle how did you know :shifty
For most projects I like the long tail caston :tu I will try to dig up a video when I get home...

I don't think we can be friends anymore. :snooty

PacisEtAmor
02-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I always do long-tail cast on and i always over estimate how much yarn i need so i have to start over again :lol

mipennsn
02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I like a knitted caston. You don't have to figure out how much of a tail or run out.

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't think we can be friends anymore. :snooty

are you trying to tell me our children will be in a mixed marriage? :shifty

RosalieMarie
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
are you trying to tell me our children will be in a mixed marriage? :shifty

:haha Looks like it. :neutral

Wonder Woman
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
so what apostate caston do you prefer? :snooty

RosalieMarie
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Knitted. Of course.

ncsweetpea
02-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I always do a long tail cast on too. I could never get the hang of a knitted one.

My husband is always amazed to watch me cast on. Like I'm doing something really exotic and interesting.

mipennsn
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
so what apostate caston do you prefer? :snooty

:roll

I actually do both and a few others for good measure. Trying to master a stretchy cast-on. One of my friends turned me onto a super stretchy bind-of. For my toe up socks, I love Judy's Magic cast-on; though I have to look up how to do it each time.