PDA

View Full Version : Is the thread just old? added pics, p5

klpmommy
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a quilt that was mine when I was a little girl. It is over 30 years old. About 6 months ago I gave it to E b/c I knew she would love it. She sleeps with it every night, but does not play with it or anything.

It is falling apart. I have spent hours today fixing seams in the quilt where it is no longer attached. E isn't being rough with it, she is a very calm sleeper.

So I am wondering if the thread is just disentegrating due to age? My hand skills are pretty poor and the blanket is looking pathetic with my poor job of patching it together. :(

bec28
02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but is it bad that when I saw your thread title, my first thought was that you were referring to a GCM thread? :giggle:doh

Sorry about your quilt :hug2

Marielle
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Can you take a pic? could be the thread, could be the fabric or both.

klpmommy
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I just took a couple of pics, I'll post them later.

klpmommy
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
The blanket

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/P2010279.jpg

Some of the missing seams

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/P2010280.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/P2010281.jpg

It's a real patchwork quilt in that the pieces were all leftover fabric from things.

Sundance
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but is it bad that when I saw your thread title, my first thought was that you were referring to a GCM thread? :giggle:doh

Sorry about your quilt :hug2

That's what I thought, too....and I couldn't figure it out by mousing over, either...so here I am, in the thread (would discussion page work better?) figuring out just what it's all about.

FWIW, the same thing has happened to my baby blanket. It was fine when I finished using it, but has since deteriorated a lot, despite being packed away with only occasional "visits"

Marielle
02-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Ahhh, it's a hexagon quilt which from the construction (the tops are usually all hand pieced) make them a bit more fragile to begin with. The hexagons are first basted around a paper stencil, pressed then the stencil taken out and they are stitched together with a blind stitch around the edges. The hand stitches are a bit more delicate than a machine pieced quilt top and trying to repair it makes a bit more challenging.

Let me see if I can find you pics of the putting together process so you can track back.

here's a tutorial that might help you figure out the bones of the quilt.

http://www.craftpassion.com/2009/03/basic-hexagon-quilting-tutorial.html

Since it's a true scrap quilt depending on the condition of the batting and the backing I would repair what needs to be repaired then I would machine quilt it all over. I think a more dense free motion quilting will hold not just the seams of the top but the whole hexagon piece in place much more securely.

eta: Having said the above I see that there are quite a few pieces of double knit fabric in there that are starting to run (like runs in a stocking) from age. I wonder if they would continue to run with more needle work however if the goal is to have a restored quilt then it's better than a torn quilt kwim? Seeing how this is kind of a treasured item it will just come down to a couple of options. Either restore it minimally and set it aside or reinforce it for more loving. I hope you find a solution Kimberly. :heart

Mama Calidad
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
My mom pulled out my patchwork quilt from when I was a baby and the seams were/are very weak. :yes2

Marsha
02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I have a machine sewn patchwork quilt that is 34 years old! The seams are holding okay, but the material itself (in the lighter colored fabrics) is disintegrating. It is sad, but we continue using it, since I feel putting it away doesn't honor my aunt's quilt either.

StumblinMama
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
My mom does quilt restoration using tulle netting like next to the the last pic seen at this link (http://www.annquilts.com/quiltrepair.html). I don't know how it would work with the double knit, but it may be worth a try if you are patient enough to do it. My mom works on hers a bit at a time. Some of them are amazing! You can't even see the repair. :no

klpmommy
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't even have to look at the link to say that I don't have the patience. :no :blush

Marielle
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Cassie that is so cool! I love learning about stuff like that.

Kimberly you know, back in the day quilts were used until they were no longer useful and then repurposed to be the batting of a future quilt . . .

StumblinMama
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
:hug Do you have a seamstress/quilter friend who could look at it? Your quilt is nowhere near as bad as the ones my mom has repaired :no

Marielle-she's totally self taught. She still hand quilts (was taught by my great grandmother) and she learned about the repair technique on the internet. She picks up quilts from thrift stores and estate sales that are literally falling apart, I mean some of the blocks are like rags. It's amazing what she can do with them :yes

klpmommy
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
No, I don't really have anyone who can fix it. My repairs aren't pretty but they work, I guess.

I *want* this to be used. I know my great aunt who made it for me would want the same.

Marielle
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
IIRC you have a sewing machine right? Then you could totally tackle reinforcement via additional quilting and then be able to use it more.

klpmommy
02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
IIRC you have a sewing machine right? Then you could totally tackle reinforcement via additional quilting and then be able to use it more.

I think you just veered into greek for me. :blush

Yes, I do have a machine. I know the very basics.

Marielle
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Sorry. if the backing is in decent condition the quilt is essentially assembled for you. I would baste it with pins and machine quilt it all over. you can get a walking foot for your machine pretty reasonably priced and do a simple square/linear quilting with medium to small sized squares. basically to tack down the fabric in as many places as possible.

however, if your machine lets you drop the feed dogs then you can try some free motion quitting on some scraps then doodle all over the hex quilt.

Here's a how to and it really makes more sense once you're doing it hands on. The abstract pattern is very forgiving .

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2009/03/quilt-along-14-freemotion-quilting.html

klpmommy
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
The back isn't quilted at all. :shrug

And no clue whaqt feed dogs are.

mipennsn
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
feed dogs are the feet or "teeth" on the bobbin side of the machine that move the fabric along.

The second picture on the right side is of the feed dogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine

It might be pretty cool machine quilted through the whole thing and I bet it would help hold it together.

Marielle
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes what Autum posted. Although if it's too overwhelming right now I would outsource such a project. Usually a local quilt store is in contact with long arm quilters that do this type of thing.