PDA

View Full Version : thrifted sewing table/desk

delightedmama
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
We just moved into a new house, and have been browsing thrift stores for used furniture. DH has hinted that if I found a desk or table I'd like for a craft desk (mostly for using my sewing machine), he might get it for Valentine's/our anniversary :kiss Which is great! But I'm not really sure what to look for.

I knit, crochet, and hand-embroider curled up in a big chair. I also sew (small things, baby clothes, and patchwork quilting) and have in the past laid out a large piece of cardboard on the floor to trace patterns/cut pieces, then set my sewing machine on the coffee table while I sat on a stool.

In the thrift shops I've seen desks that are wide but narrow and tables that are about three feet wide and two and a half feet deep. Is the bigger (second) one worth the extra space it'd take up?

Any other thoughts? They all have two or three drawers and are tallish stool-height.

ellies mom
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
I think the 3'x2.5' size would probably be best. Even better would a be a 4'x2.5'. The greater depth is nice for laying out fabric for cutting. If you quilt, you will really like having the space for a large cutting mat.

Maggirayne
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
I would look for one that had drop sides or a leaf, and you could extend if needed. I'm a piler and any available space ends up covered. :giggle

I have a desk in my craft room, and it's home to my sewing machine. I thought about moving the machine and using the desk as a workspace, but I like to spread out, so I'm looking for a table also.

ellies mom
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I have a desk in my craft room, and it's home to my sewing machine. I thought about moving the machine and using the desk as a workspace, but I like to spread out, so I'm looking for a table also.

I have an IKEA table top and legs that I use for laying out and cutting fabric and other tasks that I like to stand for. I have the sawhorse legs so I can adjust the height. I keep both of my sewing machines on a 4'x2' folding table.

Marielle
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Joann's had/has a cutting table (the one with no storage underneath) that is at a great height and has two drop leaves so you can use one or both sides depending on your needs. For a sewing desk I prefer the biggest I can fit in the space because it's always nice to have a bit of space to spread out a quilt instead of it tugging down on the floor or to add a second machine in the mix. ;) However if you have a smaller work area it's easy enough to use an ironing board adjusted to your desk height to hold the bulk of the a heavy/large project as you guide part of it on the machine.

I guess I didn't help much huh?+

littlewomen
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Ana White has a design for DIY expanding sewing table. Her blog has fantastic designs that mimic pricier pieces from Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, etc. The Sewing Table for Small Spaces link is: http://ana-white.com/2010/10/a-sewing-table-for-small-spaces.html This is on my "want to build" list.