PDA

View Full Version : Groundcover...

sillybeans
01-31-2011, 02:12 AM
I need a good, fast growing groundcover that will choke out weeds and that likes mostly shade. Any ideas about what I should get? I'm in zone 6A, incase that makes a difference!

WildOlive
01-31-2011, 05:12 AM
I have Ajuga that grows unbelievably fast and thick.

Macky
02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Do you want an ornamental groundcover or a 'green manure' crop that gets tilled under?

Soliloquy
02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
I like ajuga, too.

Snow on the Mountain will choke out everything, even daylillies if given enough time. It spreads like mad and good luck ever getting rid of it. It loves shade. http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/29567

Vinca minor loves shade and is aggressive but not as aggressive as SotM. http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/30238

There's one other one but I can't think of it atm . . .

WildOlive
02-04-2011, 05:32 AM
That's interesting, my snow on the mountain stays put and is puny. I'd like for it to fill out and spread. :giggle

sillybeans
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Oops, I never got around to replying to this thread!

I'm pretty sure we have some ajuga in our front yard. It was spreading so much and going into the lawn that I picked it all. I thought it was all gone, but nope, it's starting to come back now that it's spring! Hmmm...

And I know I have some snow on the mountain! It's in the same flowerbed as the ajuga...I'm really hoping the snow on the mountain will win, I want that to stay! I was worried that it had died over the winter, but it's also started growing again recently!

Maybe I'll have to get some of that for the back yard (that's where I'm trying to figure out what to plant).

Oh, and we also have vinca minor in another flower bed, but it's taking forever to spread!

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

If anybody has any more ideas, please share! I should probably start planting something soon, cause weeds are already starting to grow. I hate weeds! And I'm allergic to them!