PDA

View Full Version : Affective Reprimands are Effective

Pearl In Oyster
01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Came across this today in the Parenting textbook I'm reading for my job (This is from Parenting: A Dynamic Perspective by George W. Holden, p. 176):

When toddlers or preschoolers cause another person distress, mothers use affective reprimands to help their children understand the antisocial nature of their actions. First, they raise the child's discomfort level by changing their own tone of voice. Then the mother gives a reprimand and explanation about the behavior. "Oh Taylor! Look what you did! You hurt Sally when you pushed her down." When children are reprimanded in this way, the message about the inappropriateness of their behavior seems to be remembered (Hastings, Zahn-Waxler, Robinson, Usher & Bridges, 2000). Mothers who respond to children's inappropriate behavior with nonpunitive, affective reprimands such as these have toddlers who are more compassionate than do mothers who use punitive disciplinary responses in similar cases (Zahn-Waxler, Robinson and Emde, 1992).

:heart

StewardofLOs
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you! I needed to read this today :hug Sometimes the urge to "make them understand" in a punitive manner is so strong! :-/

graceandmercy
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you! I needed to read this today :hug Sometimes the urge to "make them understand" in a punitive manner is so strong! :-/

I'm guilty of this! Not in the physical way but the verbal way. :(