PDA

View Full Version : What to do with lots of flax seeds?

backtobasicsmum
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Dh works at a seed cleaning plant, and they are doing flax seeds in the next few weeks. He can come home with a fair bit of product. I know flax is really good for you.....so what are ways I can use it? Do I need to freeze it to keep it fresh? :help

cobluegirl
01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
I would grind and freeze it I think and put it in oatmeal, granola and breads...

HomeyT
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
we use flax seed as an egg replacer in baking. works very well!
smoothies
on salads

hmmm ...what i would do?? we have a big freezer, i'd freeze it and take out one jar at a time and put in the fridge. we always grind as we need it.

Quiteria
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I think i'd freeze it, and grind it later.

Maggirayne
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Freeze and grind later, I think it would clump badly if ground then frozen.

Use EOs and make freezer pillows for owies/headaches. I totally want one of those. . . swap? :whistle

Quiteria
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
grinding accelerates spoilage as far as I know...much better for digestion, but best done when you're ready to bake

Turtle Herder
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
grinding accelerates spoilage as far as I know...much better for digestion, but best done when you're ready to bake

:yes So like others have said, freeze the seeds before grinding. Then grind them just before using. You're body retains more of the nutrients from them when they're ground, and it's better for digestion. I've used ground flax meal mixed with water as a substitute for eggs and I frequently put it in baked goods, oatmeal, and smoothies :)

easygoinmomma
01-26-2011, 09:14 PM
:poke Do you think I could get some from you?

SilverMoon
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
boil some in water and make hair gel.

backtobasicsmum
01-27-2011, 07:52 AM
:poke Do you think I could get some from you?
Norma, for sure. :yes

One more question...what is the best way to grind flax? I don't have a grain grinder. I do have a kitchen aid....and could save for an attachement. I was thinking I read somewhere you could use a coffee bean grinder to grind things like that? :think

Turtle Herder
01-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Norma, for sure. :yes

One more question...what is the best way to grind flax? I don't have a grain grinder. I do have a kitchen aid....and could save for an attachement. I was thinking I read somewhere you could use a coffee bean grinder to grind things like that? :think

I use my food processor, but you could definitely use a coffee grinder...it's pretty much a small food processor :yes

backtobasicsmum
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I do have a food processor. It's new, so I didn't even think about it. :giggle

expatmom
01-27-2011, 08:01 AM
I keep the seeds in the freezer & grind when needed. I use a coffee grinder. I add them to anything and everything. Anything I bake, yogurt, meatballs as a binder, anything I'm tossing in breadcrumbs, topping for quick breads, cereal, etc.

mamaKristin
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I add flax meal to almost all baking :yes It adds a bit of flavor too.

My friend's DH is a seed grower and I need to pester him to see if I can buy some flax and lentils off of him. :think