PDA

View Full Version : First time making hummus

breezy88
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
So I made hummus for the first time and it didn't go very well. :blush
I know ...how do you mess up hummus but...I don't have a blender...only an immersion blender and it's so thick it doesn't even really spread.
Obviously my recipe isn't very good.
It's just
One can of beans
Garlic
salt
1tbsp olive oil.

Maybe I wasn't' supposed to drain the beans first.....It was also supposed to have cumin but i don't have any.....

Does anybody have any tried and tested recipes.
No tahini at this point for me though. Thanks.

Serafine
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
You need way more olive oil. :hug

Eta: well, I mean, you don't have to have way more...but traditional hummus is basically:

Can of garbanzo (reserve liquid, especially If you don't wanna use a lot of oil.
Several cloves of garlic, pressed
Lemon juice (several tbs)
Salt
Tahine if you have it (several tbs)

Mix together...add oil until smooth and the right consistency. Or add in some bean juice if you prefer.

I also use cayenne to add some zip

breezy88
01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
ok....how much.
I did add about another tablespoon because I was having trouble mixing.

Serafine
01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
I like it oily :giggle. Like the kind in Lebanese restaurants that have a little puddle of oil in the center of the hummus...so probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Alternately...you can add some water too.

swimming with sharks
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Mine is:
two cans of beans
1 lg clove garlic smashed and chopped fine
1/4 c tahini
salt
1/3 c lemon juice
1-2 tbsp olive oil

I make mine in a cuisinart :tu

Quiteria
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I ruined hummus. :hug

I haven't been brave enough to try again, but I can tell you that for me, it jammed up my blender not having enough lemon juice near the blades. So, my thought was to put the liquid in first, then some of the drained beans, then add the rest....instead of having the blades clog up with beans alone.

mellifera
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I used sunflower seed butter in place of tahini once and it was surprisingly good.

Ajani
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I killed a regular blender making hummus. Smoked the thing. It really needs the power of a food processor.

Our church used to run a music night/cafe and we made everything from scratch, including hummus. We used chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon and olive oil. But ours wasn't totally smooth. It had a little texture to it that people said they liked. I've never had a commercial one that has a bit of bite to it like that. It was good and not pasty like some can be. I wish I still had the recipe, because it was better (flavour wise) than prepared ones I've had, too.

breezy88
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
hmm....time for a food processor....I don't even know what to look for in one...I thought they just sliced and shredded things.

everydaygrace
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Hummus III from allrecipes.com is the recipe I use. But I use 2 cans. Reserve the liquid and add it to make the consistency to your liking. I also add probably 4x the olive oil. That really makes or breaks good hummus IMO. And I roast the garlic. I don't like the spicy taste of raw garlic.

The other posts are correct that the ing in hummus traditionally are: chick peas, olive oil, garlic, lemon and tahini. And salts. But you can add cumin, paprika, or whatever.

The important thing to know about hummus though is that it's all to taste. You can adjust it easily according to your preference. Once you get used to the flavored, you know which one it needs more or less of, and you can modify the next time.

I'm sure you can fix your hummus. Just add more olive oil, maybe some water if you do t have any bean juice. And some of theorist ingredients above j til it tastes right.

breezy88
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Well, it ended up tasting pretty good. I just left it thick....and spread it on warm pita bread.
On the other hand my hand blender isn't doing so well.:(

Mommainrwanda
01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I second (third, fourth...?) everything that has been said about the basic ingredients. Although I have been chastised by our Norther Lebanese school headmistress for putting cumin in my hummus. It's an outrage! :giggle

I have a hard time finding tahini and this week I tried simply blending sesame seeds with the basic ingredients. It didn't work like tahini...it gave the hummus a nutty sesame flavor. So, don't try that.

On blending - I only have a Magic Bullet. So I spend some time mashing my chickpeas with a potato masher before I blend my ingredients (before I got my Magic Bullet I did the whole thing with a potato masher - can you say chunky?). Softening up with chickpeas like that really helps out as far as I can tell.

And *fresh* lemon juice really is the best best thing for hummus!

mummy2boys
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Off topic - But when I first read the thread title I thought it said :First time making humans" and I thought.....this is the wrong section for it :roll

everydaygrace
01-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Oh. Also, if you cook the beans from dry you can cook them til their softer and they blend better. I like them better that way anyway. I always think the canned ones are a little too hard for my taste.

Meli
01-25-2011, 04:16 AM
Off topic - But when I first read the thread title I thought it said :First time making humans" and I thought.....this is the wrong section for it :roll

I totally read it the same way! :giggle

AngelaVA
01-25-2011, 06:13 AM
I have found it pretty much impossible to get the right texture in a blender.

JustMandy
01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for this thread and all the resonces! I just made a lovely hummus:heart

swimming with sharks
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM

:shrug3 :think I don't know....a REALLY good hummus recipe might be a good place to start...a little food, a little romance, a little human. :giggle

JustMandy
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
lol!!