PDA

View Full Version : Give me your favorite smoothie recipe

3boysforme
01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
So I'm only 5 years late :shrug but I got a blender today and hope to get some smoothies started around here.

But I have no idea what I'm doing and am looking for some user tested and approved recipes.

I mostly want my extremely picky ds1 to drink them, so I was thinking of starting small and simple to get him used to the idea and then start sneaky really healthy stuff in.

Thanks!

3boysforme
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
:bump

tinybutterfly
01-20-2011, 05:35 PM
My very picky younger son likes banana, orange juice, mango, peach, strawberry.

I was throwing in some half and half or vanilla yogurt, but he didn't like the creaminess.

*I* like mango, peach, strawberry, blueberry and lots of baby spinach.

I can't use bananas in mine. They make the roof of my mouth itch.

Turtle Herder
01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
:popcorn

tinybutterfly
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
http://vimeo.com/6034508

3boysforme
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/6034508

Ahhh, thanks for posting but now I am crying lol. I watched her homebirth video, so so sweet!

Back to the topic, thanks for the recipes. Ds1 hates fruit so I am trying to figure out how to slowly incorporate to really fruity things. Last night I made one with banana, yogurt, and a bit of chocolate syrup just to see if he would drink it. He drank about 3 sips and said "no thank you":sigh

arctic oak
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
What about juice?
I put juice, yoghurt and frozen fruit in mine- like the bags of frozen berries. DS1 won't eat fruit or veg but he likes raspberries so I started with that. You can make it less 'fruity' at first by using more juice than fruit and play around with the proportion of yoghurt too. I have a friend who adds small amounts of spinach to her fruit smoothies- she says her kids just think smoothies have green flecks and they can't taste the spinach.

:cup looking forward to more ideas!

amen_mama
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I tried banana hempmilk protein powder and blueberries, yuck =(

Ajoy
01-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I do Frozen fruit, a juice that "goes", yoghurt that "goes" (the flavors match I mean) and add in some protein powder, ground flax and wheat germ for extra goodness. :) Hubby and DD LOVE them.

However for non fruit lover: My mom made delicious smoothies when I was little: milk (actually milk powder and water), cocoa powder, a little sugar and frozen bananas. You could start with ice and a few bananas, gradually increasing to more bananas.

If you can get "over-ripes" from your local grocers, peel and cut into chunks, then freeze, they're perfect for smoothies, and with a little more goodness than just ice. (and over-ripes are MUCH cheaper than regular bananas)

Hope that helps. :)

Bumblebee
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
:cup

arctic oak
01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Another thing I do is make home made popsicles with smoothies- maybe the fruit would go down in a frozen form?

(If you don't have a popsicle thingy, you can put the smoothie in a dixie cup and a stick in the middle, with the stick through a round of tin foil to hold it in place or catch drips)

Damselfly
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Here's one of my favorites:

Kefir (yogurt would do)
lime juice
frozen cherries
a tiny bit of honey