PDA

View Full Version : I left a whole crockpot of home made chili out

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 07:32 AM
on the counter last night:sigh. Like a pound and half of ground sirlion in there. It was amazing, I am sad there no left overs. I had planned on us eating on that for awhile.:(

Anyone wanna make me feel better and tell me you've done something like that before?

NewLeaf
01-17-2011, 07:39 AM
All through my pregnancy I told my mom I wanted her to make her amazing matzo ball soup for me postpartum. I got one bowl and the rest was left out on the stove over night. :( I could have cried.

I've definitely left things out and had a big :hissyfit in the morning when I realized it.

:hug

I love your new avi though!!!!! :hearts

KnittingHappy
01-17-2011, 07:42 AM
BTDT. Too many times to count.

mommy2abigail
01-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Ugh I hate when things like that happen. I got a piece of steak last week to make in the crackpot, and decided to make it in the oven instead and it turned out horrid!!! I should have stuck with the method I knew would work, but I tried something new and ruined it. And my dh lost his his job the day after, so it was the last piece of steak we'll have for a long time.:(

backtobasicsmum
01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
I have soooo done that before. :yes Numerous times. :yes
Sorry that it happened, though. :hug

klpmommy
01-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I've done that more times than I can count. Why don't I forget the barely edible stuff and only leave out the really delicious stuff? :(

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 08:38 AM
All through my pregnancy I told my mom I wanted her to make her amazing matzo ball soup for me postpartum. I got one bowl and the rest was left out on the stove over night. :( I could have cried.

I've definitely left things out and had a big :hissyfit in the morning when I realized it.

I love your new avi though!!!!! :hearts
That really stinks about the soup. I would be so upset pp if that happened...

and thank you for the compliment:)

Ugh I hate when things like that happen. I got a piece of steak last week to make in the crackpot, and decided to make it in the oven instead and it turned out horrid!!! I should have stuck with the method I knew would work, but I tried something new and ruined it. And my dh lost his his job the day after, so it was the last piece of steak we'll have for a long time.:(
I want your crockpot steak recipe. :) I am sorry it was ruined in the oven. Atleast we all got one serving of the chili before it was ruined.:hug2

I am sorry your dh lost his job.:pray4

Sundance
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, this may fall into a slightly different category, but I'm going to share, anyways.

We had a chicken stir fry a few weeks ago, and it was about 9:30 pm before I thought to put it away....and I thought that was too long. So I left it there :bag I got up the next morning, and it was in the fridge :scratch So I called DH at work, and asked when he put it in the fridge...and he told me "this morning, before I left for work" I'm not sure just what he was thinking....but I'm darn glad I didn't just assume he'd put it away after supper, and feed it to us all for lunch!!

It was kind of funny, though!

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
:sick ewwww. Thank God you asked.:hug

pirandellian
01-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah.. that happens WAY too often around here. Particularly when I leave DH in charge of cleaning the kitchen.

Lady TS
01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
btdt...so sorry you did it too! :hug2

It's so frustrating, isn't it?

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
yes, I was sick to my stomach when I saw it. :(

MamaPepper
01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I do it All.The.Time :doh

Barefoot Bookworm
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh no!! My husband does that to me a lot when he's cleaning the kitchen. It's like he doesn't realize we have a stove. :giggle

nadezhda
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
So...I'm the only weird one who would bring the soup/chili to a rolling boil & then consider the food "healed?" :shifty

ETA: In case anyone's wondering, we've never gotten sick...

Niphredil
01-17-2011, 09:39 AM
:hug2 I do brainless, frustrating things like that all the time. :( So sorry!

musicmama
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
:doh I do that a lot :shifty

swimming with sharks
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
So...I'm the only weird one who would bring the soup/chili to a rolling boil & then consider the food "healed?" :shifty

Nope not the only one :no I believe this is a US hypervigilant thing. In Europe it was not a big deal to leave something out. Their fridge's were itsybitsy. Anyone not in the US want to comment? :hmm

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 09:55 AM
My mom managed a resteraunt most of my formative years, and then I worked food service awhile. Food safetey has been too deeply ingrained in me to do that. I was tempted though.:yes

newday
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I once left a huge container of stew, which my mil had browned piece by piece, out on our stove. Honestly, I did cry. My dh had to throw it out because I couldn't even look at it. :bag

The worst though was when I had purchased some really expensive roasts (grass-fed, organic, local blah blah blah) and threw them in the crockpot with herbs, some beer and such. We left the house for a few hours, then returned home to the smell of PLASTIC. There had been a thin sheet of plastic around the meat which I hadn't seen, and since I didn't touch the meat with my hands I didn't feel it.
I had to throw the whole thing out. It was very, very sad.

raining_kisses
01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I once left a huge container of stew, which my mil had browned piece by piece, out on our stove. Honestly, I did cry. My dh had to throw it out because I couldn't even look at it. :bag

The worst though was when I had purchased some really expensive roasts (grass-fed, organic, local blah blah blah) and threw them in the crockpot with herbs, some beer and such. We left the house for a few hours, then returned home to the smell of PLASTIC. There had been a thin sheet of plastic around the meat which I hadn't seen, and since I didn't touch the meat with my hands I didn't feel it.
I had to throw the whole thing out. It was very, very sad.
oh that would make me soo so sad.

MomtoJGJ
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I leave stuff out about once every couple of weeks. We also heat it really well and consider it healed. We haven't gotten sick from it yet either....

Allison
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Uh, yeah. I would have reheated that chili and eaten it for breakfast. But, I don't refrigerate my eggs either, so . . . yeah . . .:shifty

ThreeKids
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Peas porridge hot
Peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old

Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot
Nine days old

mariposa
01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
That is such a bummer! I did that once with a breakfast casserole I made the night before a brunch. I woke up the next morning and found it still "cooling" on the stove. :doh I was so upset!

CakeLady
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
I hate it when I do that! :hug

krysmh
01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Being a huge food-germ-aphobe, I think that's the only brain fog thing I *don't* do regularly. :giggle I'm pretty vigilant about putting food in the fridge within an hour of being finished cooking.

But I once left out an entire container of baked chicken that was to be dinner a couple times. I hate wasting food. :(

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

As for getting sick... I have gotten ill from eating food left out all night. I was a teenager and at a friend's house. They regularly did that. I vowed to never eat left out food again. :no

houseforjoy
01-17-2011, 12:22 PM

whew so glad someone else said this ;) i left my chili out last night too and we still ate it for lunch this morning, i just heated it up till it was bubbling nicely and let it bubble for like a half hour maybe? yeah we have never gotten sick either. i kinda figure with all the stuff i leave out all the time on purpose (sourdough, yogurt, kefir) to catch the stuff that is in the air that it is okay if it happens accidentally too.

Serafine
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Back to the whole food safety thing...most OSHA requirements are overkill and designed to prevent major food poisoning epidemics in fast-paced environments.

Think about it...it is safe to go to a developing country (or on a hiking trip) and drink nasty sewage-containing water (or water from a puddle on the trail or a creek that animals pee/poop in/near) IF is has been brought to a vigorous boil for at least 5-10 minutes.

There is nothing in that chili that, once boiled for at least 20 minutes, is going to remain and cause a problem...even if you don't have a super strong gut.

I am NOT telling you to do that...simply providing some logical information that might help. (or not ;))

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

As for getting sick... I have gotten ill from eating food left out all night.

If it wasn't a liquid/stew type food AND it wasn't vigorously boiled for 20-30 minutes...then it isn't exactly the same thing as what other PPs are describing. :no

Other things left out (more solid foods, etc.) would be more problematic if eaten. :yes

Tengokujin
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
If it was a liquidy thing that I could boil hard as described, I'd use it. But I'd use it that day.

I'm fortunate that my kitchen must be walked through to get to my bed, so I usually can give one more check that everything is put away. Doesn't mean that I've never left something out and cried over it.

newday
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Well. now - I have GOT to spin... I'll be back :)

solatido
01-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I left out some spag sauce once and we boiled it again and ate it. I guess we didn't boil it enough. DH and I both had seriously uncomfortable intestine issues- may be TMI:
diarrhea and nasty gas
So we are pretty careful and if something DOES get left out we boil the heck out of it when possible (or toss it) and we don't share it with DS if we do decide to eat it.

We both REALLY hate wasting stuff though (who doesn't?), so we don't wind up tossing stuff too often.

Annainprogress
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I eat sausages left in the oven all night. Usually cold. I wouldn't feed them unheated or inf summer to kids but we did have pasta with reheated (in oven) bacon the other day after I found it left out all night & put in fridge in morning. If I'm batch cooking then I usually serve it up into containers it will be frozen in (maybe one lot to fridge for next day) straight after meal so it cools quicker.

I keep eggs out of fridge, the eggs I buy are from flocks tested for salmonella as per legal requirement. It's too much hassle in fridge, you have to get out early to come to room temperature & since it makes them more porous IMO that's actually a higher risk.

How many days do people keep cooked stuff in fridge (not freezer) for? I chuck stuff after 3 days

newday
01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Food Safety Spin :sillygrin (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?p=3612015#post3612015)

Serafine
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Jaymarie - I answered your question in the other thread. in THIS case...the chances of anaerobes a) being present and b) producing enough toxins to have an affect at all is highly unlikely. ;)

I will also say that my personal opinion is that most American guts (maybe Canadians too...I dunno ;)) are incredibly unhealthy. UNHEALTHY guts are going to be way more susceptible to normal, not-usually-problematic amounts of microbes in food (whether left out overnight or not).

HEALTHY guts, on the other hand, have no problems handling a little microbes (and even small amounts of their toxins) here and there. :shrug

Prism
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
If it makes you feel better I have recently left out 1.5lbs of chicken quarters uncooked in the microwave because DH had brought home food and I forgot all about what I had been cooking. :sick

Hermana Linda
01-17-2011, 02:21 PM
A lovely family gave us a present after the Wed night church service. :hearts I found it in the car on Sunday morning as we were about to leave for church. I was all excited and opened it and it turned out to be homemade flan. :doh Nobody in the family was brave enough to eat it and we had to throw it away. :(

Housekat
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Tooootally OT but that typo made me :giggle

Nope not the only one :no I believe this is a US hypervigilant thing. In Europe it was not a big deal to leave something out. Their fridge's were itsybitsy. Anyone not in the US want to comment? :hmm

Yep - European here (grew up in Germany, now live in England). I read the first few posts going :blush :bag I leave food out all. the. time. Never gotten ill from it. Ever. I grew up with my mum leaving food out over night if she knew we'd be eating it the next day :shrug

As for eggs, I don't have them in the fridge. :no

swimming with sharks
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
this is also talking about *her germs* Germs in her house, her family that she is exposed to each and every day. I wouldn't have done it with a pot of chili that had been out all day at a potluck that other people were eating out of, :nobut in my house, if I leave something out overnight. :shrug3

And also...if you put a warm something in the fridge in a pot, the time it takes to cool off will also allow things to grow in the still warm middle. So unless you're taking it out of the original warm pot, putting it into smaller containers to cool immediately. :shrug3 I'm not sure you're going to have a marked difference. :shifty

ThreeKids
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
If I'm going to put a large amount of leftovers in the fridge, I'll cool it down first. I put ice water in the sink and put the stock pot down in that and stir occasionally.

I don't care about getting it into the fridge, but dh is convinced you have to and won't eat anything left out and I refuse to warm up everything in the fridge.

Dh's whole family gets sick from food easily. My family doesn't. I'm not sure if it's in their heads or something genetic or lack of exposure or formula feeding or what.

Maggie
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry about that. :( :hugheart I've done that more than once. The most recent was some delicious leftovers from a restaurant we hardly ever go to, which I accidentally left in its foam container on the counter. :(

I'm most worried about things with meat in them that have been left out more than 3 hours.
If it's hot dogs or something with preservatives in it, I might go a little longer than that.