PDA

View Full Version : Teaching almost 7 year old to knit, book suggestions?

mipennsn
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
T has been begging me to teach him to knit for over a year now. We have had fits and starts, but haven't been very successful so far. I didn't even know their were books designed to teach kids until the one was posted in the monthly thread.

His 7th birthday is next month and I am thinking about getting him a book to help teach him. Our local library doesn't have much in terms of selection, so it would be hard to browse to decide what I want.

For those who have taught your kids to knit --

Any tricks to teaching them
Any books you would recommend.

I think he has the basic idea, but not the follow through of patience yet. If he could just get a couple of stitches formed on his own, I think he could get it figured out.

StumblinMama
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
:popcorn

Kiara.I
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I haven't taught a kid to knit, but is there a reason you want a book instead of videos?

What about just using knittinghelp.com?

mipennsn
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I want a book partially form me. I don't know how he would do from a video. A book might give me pointers on how to teach/show. I am a tactile learner and I think he is too.

Plus a book has benefit of patterns to learn from.

The book posted on the other thread is http://www.amazon.com/First-Book-Knitting-Children/dp/0946206554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294836648&sr=8-1