PDA

View Full Version : I have a black thumb, but ds1 is desperate to grow something!

3boysforme
01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
:help

I rent a very small apartment, and cannot make a plot or anything. I was thinking about maybe doing just a couple things (since I have no idea what I am doing) and using some big containers.

How do I start? Would now be the time to start sprouting seeds? I do not have light indoors really, cannot put anything by the window as ds3 will have a field day with that. And how do I keep from killing everything?:blush

Kiara.I
01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Beans grow in styrofoam cups in sunday schools all. the. time. :) And they have a fast "see something above the ground" time.

If you want a houseplant that's indestructible, Sansevieria (http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sansevieria) fits the bill. My mother has had a couple of them for over thirty years. Trust me when I tell you that means they are indestructible. ;) Ever 10-15 years when they look really faded you could re-pot them, then they turn really luscious and dark green again.

ETA: Oh yeah, a herb garden in a container works pretty well, and he could see the stuff being used in food. Rosemary is very hardy, but you can also do basil, thyme, oregano....
If you want to do mint it needs its own container as it is VERY invasive and will quickly take over. And if the container is next to another, you need to make sure that it keeps its runners to itself. ;)

Macky
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
When you say grow "something" do you mean "something" ornamental (a flower or houseplant) or "something" to eat (vegetables, fruit, herbs, etc)?

I've never been able to grow a vegetable indoors (in a south window or under basic florescent lights) that produces anything worth all the effort. Herbs are okay in a window, but are often lanky and don't have the full burst of concentrated flavour that you'd get from an herb grown outdoors. Some people feel they're worthwhile (indoors); I don't. Unless you have a place where you can tend a large container or two outside, I'd avoid the edibles unfortunately. Ask your landlord, though... when my dad lived in an apartment for a few years, his landlord allowed him a little spot outside (Dad loves roses).

Inside... I'd suggest forcing bulbs. It's very much like a science project with various steps to follow. This would be the ticket for a curious kid and something that could prompt various educational discussions (why you have to chill the bulb and then warm it up, etc.). You can learn together. :) I don't believe there's a need for much light and when the flower is done, toss it – no commitment like a houseplant. Many treat them just like a longer-lasting cut flower.

ETA: The bulbs themselves are available everywhere this time of year around here – proper greenhouses to grocery stores to hardware shops. Most come in kits which should have instructions. If not, they're easy to search online. :)

3boysforme
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
DS1 wants to grow something to eat, why I am not sure because I can guarantee he will not eat it.:giggle.

I think an hearb garden is a great idea, and forcing bulbs does sound like a fun project! Thanks for those ideas.

In the even that ds1 insists on some veggies or fruit, is there anything that would be relatively easy to grow? I would be able to place one or two large containers outside, as my neighbors do every year and it's no problem. I was thinking tomatoes or chilies?? Or would that be to hard for a recovering plant killer?:blush

Lily
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
As a plant killer myself, I can tell you that bell peppers, jalepenos and basils are hard to kill. I even grew some cilantro until my cat ate it all.

cro
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a black thumb too, but have been succesful at growing beans and snow peas (and zucchini, but that probably takes more space than you have). Check out Square Foot Gardening (http://www.squarefootgardening.com/) - lots of good ideas for interesting (and kid-friendly) gardens in small spaces. You can apply a lot of the techniques to container gardens too.

Macky
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, if you can put a couple of pots outside, you're good to go then. :)

Peppers depend on climate... they're remarkably easy to kill in my zone. Does your son (no idea how old he is) like chillies or tomatoes? I don't know many young kids who like hot foods; my kids down tomatoes like they're going out of style. Toms can be easy or they can be sensitive, depending on the variety you choose and how often you tend to them. I'd suggest a cherry tomato for a first-timer.

First and foremost, though, I'd suggest peas. It's an excellent demonstration of how different a vegetable can taste from the garden vs the store. No kid I know can resist sitting there and munching peas from dozens of pods in a sitting – they're like candy. They're fast-growing, too... better for the attention spans of kids. All you need in addition to the usual pot and soil would be a few sticks for support. Great photos here (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20264827_20594672,00.html). Pole beans could be grown on the same setup. Whatever you use, just make sure the surface is rough (ie. not bamboo) so the tendrils can grab it easier.

There are bush varieties of pumpkins out there. Pumpkins (most winter squash) are a plant and forget kind of crop, though in a container you'd have to pay attention to watering and feeding more so than in the ground. If you could get a container, oh... half-barrel sized, you may even be able to contain the vines of a smaller bush pumpkin somewhat. I grew a larger one called Racer one year and was really surprised how little it spread and still produced lovely, deep orange pumpkins. My uncle used to container grow larger pumpkins with great success.

3boysforme
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Ds1 is 6. He will not ever eat a vegetable, he just refuses. However, the kids loooooves salsa (or "sauces" as he calls it). So I was thinking if I can get some tomatoes and chilies, we could then make salsa together. I think he would like that.

Cro- Thanks you for that link!!!

Ok, I think I will try some tomatoes and chilies, and some herbs as far as food. Maybe one or two bulbs as a fun project.

I live in South Louisiana and it is generally a warm, humid climate here. Right now it is wet and cold and we are still having occasional freezes. The last freeze is usually right before Easter. Should I start the seedlings now or wait a few weeks. I was thinking for the time being, I could put seedlings by the window before we leave for the day, that way they would get a good 8-10 hours of sunlight. Then, I will put them up before ds3 destroys them.

Thanks for helping me out ladies, I am getting excited about this project!

MarynMunchkins
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Herbs are pretty easy. Rosemary, basil, oregano in a couple pots should grow just fine. :)

iheartsam
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
You could also check into a local community garden... He could get lots of dirt time even if you don't have a place at home. I'm from south LA too, though not currently living there. I'm from Lafayette. :)