PDA

View Full Version : Fresh-made Hash Browns

Llee
01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
So, mom gave me her old food processor with all its blades :jump Dh and I attempted to make some hash browns last week and well, let's just say that we have MUCH better success with the frozen ones :shifty

Apparently we're missing some step in the process. We took the potatoes, washed them, shredded them, stuck them in the pan with th oil and waited. The ones on top turned brown, the middle just gunkified, the bottom layer didn't turn out so well--no matter how much we flipped them.

:help

Allison
01-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Were they in a single layer and did you dry them after washing them?

Mother of Sons
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
After you shred them put them in cold water until you are putting them in the pan.

The trick I learned to good bash browns is to make a mound in the pan and pour the oil on top. I don't k ow why that works but it does.

Six Little Feet
01-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I rinse mine and then squeeze them in a tea towel.

ViolaMum
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I rinse mine and then squeeze them in a tea towel.
Yup! the drier the better before they hit the pan. I don't rinse them, though.

prov31craftymom
01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
bake your potatoes first. After they cool, shred them, and then they will be crispy when they are fried. That's how they do it in the restaurants. My uncle tried it at home and it works every time. :)

Llee
01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Oooh, good ideas. Thank you!

backtobasicsmum
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I got a food processor for Christmas, and I was thinking about this! Thanks for the helpful hints! :rockon

high speed wobble
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I did this not long ago and had the same "gunky" problem. Rinsed and even squeezed the water off the shredded potatoes. I like the idea of baking first. Maybe even combining that step w/the oil on top step. Worth a try!