PDA

View Full Version : Loving This Meal Planning Site!

RealLifeMama
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
JellyBean posted about plantoeat.com a long while back, and a lot of us joined back then. But, then I sort of forgot about it.
Well, the other day, I went back to it and they have made it super easy to input recipes now. Very much improved from the beginning. And, you can search for recipes from the web right from the site, and then import them into your recipe files. Very cool!
I am excited to start using it again.

What brought me back to it was that the other day, I was sitting in the car with a sleeping child while DH and the other children were taking too long in a store. :giggle With nothing to do, I decided to make a list of all the cooler weather meals I know my family likes that I know how make. Basic menu planning stuff. I came up with about 45 dinner meals. (I would be happy to share my list, it is divided up into categories like beef, chicken, meatless, soup, etc. ) Listing out the ingredients and making a shopping list, as well as assigning days to each meal, seemed like a lot to do, but then I remembered that site! So, I have started putting in all of those dinner meals in the website, and then I will be able to easily get my grocery list made so I can have those things on hand and hopefully have all my dinner planning made and all the shopping done for up until the baby comes (along with some freezer meals, because I typically make a double portion of stuff and freeze it if I have enough ingredients. )

I just wanted to see if anyone else is using this site, and remind people of it if they had forgotten about it like I did. If you do, we can be friends! Then we can see each other's recipes. I don't know if they still have that "friend" option, but before, you could "friend" people and then you could see all their recipes.

Gentle Journey
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Sounds interesting! And please, do share your list.:yes

JellyBean
01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Yay! I'm glad its working for you! I go through phases where I use it a lot and then forget about it. I just realized you can import from Pioneer Woman's site now though!!! :woohoo Forever you could import from basic recipe sites but not from her's since it was a blog. So glad he worked out that glitch!!

I think we are friends already on there...your RLM right?

RealLifeMama
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Yay! I'm glad its working for you! I go through phases where I use it a lot and then forget about it. I just realized you can import from Pioneer Woman's site now though!!! :woohoo Forever you could import from basic recipe sites but not from her's since it was a blog. So glad he worked out that glitch!!

I think we are friends already on there...your RLM right?

yes, I am RLM. We are friends already.

And I am so glad about the PW site, too. I have a lot of recipes from there.
Annie's Eats is the other blog I use a lot, but since he added the "bulk ingredient input" feature, it is super easy to just cut and paste from that blog. Your friend is a genious! I am always amazed at how people put together things like this.

greengirl19
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks awesome! I might have to give it a try . . .

Apple-Saucy
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
:rockon I've always wanted a website to do my grocery list for me!

Barefoot Bookworm
01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Neat! I might have to check this out.

The Tickle Momster
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Ohh, I might have to go back and re-look at it. havne't used it in ages. :think

mamamonkey
01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I just signed up, and can't remember my user name. :doh

I'll be back to post when I remember. :scratch

RealLifeMama
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Sounds interesting! And please, do share your list.:yes

There is nothing really special on it. I made it while I was in the car, off the top of my head. It was satisfying listing out the stuff, though, because it showed me that I could proabably plan main dishes for dinner for two months pretty easily, even though a lot of the meals are similar. But, we are forced to eat out two nights a week, so maybe it won't seem like we are eating the same stuff all the time. We are heavy on the beef because we buy the 1/2 cow in bulk and always have beef in our freezer.

Beef dishes:
1.Sloppy joes
2.Steak w/ mushroom sauce (served with smashed red potatoes and 3.green veggies.)
4.Shepherds Pie (freezes really well)
5.Beef Stroganoff or Hamburger Stroganoff
6.Pot roast
7.Beef w/ broccoli
8.Steak Fajitas
9.tacos
10.beef stew
11.salisbury steak
12.Marlboro Man's steak sandwiches (From PW)
13.Swiss steak

Chicken
14.Mediterranian chicken legs
15.Roasted sticky chicken
16.Chicken Enchiladas
17.Chicken Pot Pie
18.Chicken Nuggets (always make and freeze when I am buying chicken breast in bulk,even though usually we eat them for lunch)
19.Chicken Marsala
20.Chicken Spaghetti (PW's)
21.Chicken Spaghetti (Red sauce base)
22.Chicken stir fry
23.Chicken Fajitas
24.Chicken Parmesan

Meatless- Would love some more of these!
25.Tamale Pie
26.Quinoa Chili w/ red beans
27.Black Beans/rice
28.Lentils w/ rice
29.Red Beans/rice
30.Baked Ziti
31.Vegetarian Lasagna
32.Crock Pot Mac-n-cheese

Soup and chili
33.Beef/barley soup
34.White chicken chili
35.Potato soup
36.Black bean soup
37.Minestrone soup
38.ABC Meatball soup
39.Chili
40.Corn Chowder
41.Tuscan Bean Soup w/ Kale

Pork
42.Pork Chops/Rice Casserole
43.Sausage w/ peppers
44.Bow Tie Pasta w/ Italian Sausage
45.Lasagna

Fish
46.Salmon Patties

Turkey (Because we have a 20 pound turkey in our freezer, and I want to cook it before the baby is born!)
47.Thanksgiving Dinner Take 2
48.Turkey Cranberry Wreath
49.Turkey Tetrazzini
50.Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

HomeyT
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
cool. now i really want an ipod touch...you think DH will understand that i NEED it for grocery shopping. our local store has wireless :) i wonder if the touch has it's own app for this.

JoyGal
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
LOVE your list!! It looks almost perfect to what my family would eat too :tu

Going to check out the site now ...

HindsFeet
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome! I just posted about this today on the BSHBC thread. I didn't know anyone else here was using it. I've been using it since the summer, and I love it. They keep adding more new stuff, so it's improving over time. If anyone wants to friend me, I'm HindsFeet on there as well.

Apple-Saucy
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
:poke you should add fish tacos :yes

RealLifeMama
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
:poke you should add fish tacos :yes

We have never eaten fish tacos. I know they are popular, though.
I am actually kind of embarassed by my list now. It looks so "SAD" on paper, and everything looks so heavy.

JoyGal
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I am actually kind of embarassed by my list now. It looks so "SAD" on paper, and everything looks so heavy.

No, don't feel that way please! Seriously, I think your list looks awesome :tu

mamamonkey
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I remembered my user name.

If you want it, PM me since it is a combo of my real first and last name and I don't want to post that in a public forum. ;)

curlymopmom
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Subbing to come back to later. This sounds neat!

Heather R
01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Bumping a very old thread for updates... I just signed up for the 30 day trial, and am a little intimidated to get all my recipes uploaded, even though they make it so easy.

Anyone still using this?
Heather

JellyBean
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Bumping a very old thread for updates... I just signed up for the 30 day trial, and am a little intimidated to get all my recipes uploaded, even though they make it so easy.

Anyone still using this?
Heather

Yes, I love this site! Its my friend who designed it and I faithfully use it every week. Makes my life so much easier. What's your username and we can be friends and share recipes. :)

HindsFeet
01-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I am! Love it. I've been using it for over a year, and they keep improving it. :yes I will also tell you that I still don't have all my recipes in it. I've added them little by little, over time. I would love to have more friends (i.e. more recipes!) on that site. I'm HindsFeet there as well.

GraemesMomma
01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Is this PlanToEat? If so, I'm on there...was just revisiting today :)

Mert
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
This sounds like it would be so useful and such a time saver. It sounds like it was a free site when y'all originally signed up. For those of you still using it, is it worth it?

RealLifeMama
01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I am still using it, but I don't do the actual "planner" part, I just get my recipes from there.
I am not sure how to use it for just saying things like
Breakfast- Pancakesl Lunch: PB&J etc, without having a recipe to drag.

JellyBean
01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
This sounds like it would be so useful and such a time saver. It sounds like it was a free site when y'all originally signed up. For those of you still using it, is it worth it?

For me it would be worth it for the meal/planning grocery list part. What took the longest typically for me before I found this site was once I found the recipes I wanted I had to make a list of all the ingredients and it never failed I would forget something. But here you just drag the recipes in the planner and go to grocery list and its made for you.

Mert
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
For me it would be worth it for the meal/planning grocery list part. What took the longest typically for me before I found this site was once I found the recipes I wanted I had to make a list of all the ingredients and it never failed I would forget something. But here you just drag the recipes in the planner and go to grocery list and its made for you.

Thanks for the info, JellyBean. :grin

GraemesMomma
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM

If you use a lot of online recipes OR are willing to invest in the upfront time of inputting your favorites. I am not finding it super useful, but mainly bc a lit of the recipes I'm wanting to use aren't a) set up to transfer to the site or b) are in books and I just don't have the time to spend 5min/recipe inputting it. I think it's worth trying, though! :)

HindsFeet
01-08-2012, 01:01 PM
They offer a free 30-day trial so you can get a feel for how it would work for you. I tried it out, and then became a paid subscriber when it ran out. It's totally worth it IMO.

Yes, it does take some time to get your own recipes set up. I've done them in batches over time. Started out with the ones that I used the most often, and have added others along the way. As far as stuff like PB&J goes, I ended up making a "recipe" for that stuff as well. I list the ingredients I need, but no instructions. So, one of mine says "sandwiches". Then I list bread, deli meat, sliced cheese, PB, jelly, etc. So when I plan that, I can go through the list and see if there is anything that I'm out of. Some of them are one ingredient things - e.g. cereal (boxed cereal), pizza (frozen pizza), etc.

Mert
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
My old system of keeping recipes is a binder with printed copies or rewrites I did in Word. Will I be able to use the batch loader thingie to add the word documents or will I most likely be typing those in again? :think

JellyBean
01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
My old system of keeping recipes is a binder with printed copies or rewrites I did in Word. Will I be able to use the batch loader thingie to add the word documents or will I most likely be typing those in again? :think

It can upload directly from websites but I don't think it can from word documents. I can ask him if he has a way of doing this. If not the bulk uploader is pretty simple to cut and paste in. For the ingredients you'd just have to copy all of them at once and then paste in the bulk box and it will seperate each ingredient automatically and then copy and paste the directions. It could take a little while though if you have a whole lot.

Heather R
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes, I love this site! Its my friend who designed it and I faithfully use it every week. Makes my life so much easier. What's your username and we can be friends and share recipes. :)

I am Heather R there as well... I'll friend you and Hindsfeet. I don't have many recipes, though. :)

Heather

Mert
01-08-2012, 02:16 PM
It can upload directly from websites but I don't think it can from word documents. I can ask him if he has a way of doing this. If not the bulk uploader is pretty simple to cut and paste in. For the ingredients you'd just have to copy all of them at once and then paste in the bulk box and it will seperate each ingredient automatically and then copy and paste the directions. It could take a little while though if you have a whole lot.

Oh I wanted to be able to cut and paste. :yes Otherwise, I'd have to TYPE everything in. I might not have been clear when I asked... I didn't think that I could upload from my own word docs. And some of my recipes in the binder are pages I printed directly from websites so I can go back and find them on the internet. :ty4 for all the info. I think I'm going to give it a try. :grin

mokamoto
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
JellyBean posted about plantoeat.com a long while back, and a lot of us joined back then. But, then I sort of forgot about it.
Well, the other day, I went back to it and they have made it super easy to input recipes now. Very much improved from the beginning. And, you can search for recipes from the web right from the site, and then import them into your recipe files. Very cool!
I am excited to start using it again.

What brought me back to it was that the other day, I was sitting in the car with a sleeping child while DH and the other children were taking too long in a store. :giggle With nothing to do, I decided to make a list of all the cooler weather meals I know my family likes that I know how make. Basic menu planning stuff. I came up with about 45 dinner meals. (I would be happy to share my list, it is divided up into categories like beef, chicken, meatless, soup, etc. ) Listing out the ingredients and making a shopping list, as well as assigning days to each meal, seemed like a lot to do, but then I remembered that site! So, I have started putting in all of those dinner meals in the website, and then I will be able to easily get my grocery list made so I can have those things on hand and hopefully have all my dinner planning made and all the shopping done for up until the baby comes (along with some freezer meals, because I typically make a double portion of stuff and freeze it if I have enough ingredients. )

I just wanted to see if anyone else is using this site, and remind people of it if they had forgotten about it like I did. If you do, we can be friends! Then we can see each other's recipes. I don't know if they still have that "friend" option, but before, you could "friend" people and then you could see all their recipes.

Sounds like a great site. :heart I'd love to participate in a friend sharing! :-)

JellyBean
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh I wanted to be able to cut and paste. :yes Otherwise, I'd have to TYPE everything in. I might not have been clear when I asked... I didn't think that I could upload from my own word docs. And some of my recipes in the binder are pages I printed directly from websites so I can go back and find them on the internet. :ty4 for all the info. I think I'm going to give it a try. :grin
Yes...you can definitely cut and paste it!

mokamoto
01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I am Heather R there as well... I'll friend you and Hindsfeet. I don't have many recipes, though. :)

Heather

I haven't started yet, but I'll use mokamoto, too. :) I'll add recipes as I have time, promise!!!

Gentle Journey
01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Just joined! Mom2acrew. I've added 1 recipe so far. I'd love for anyone to add me.

HindsFeet
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Just joined! Mom2acrew. I've added 1 recipe so far. I'd love for anyone to add me.

I just sent you a friend request.

PaperMomma
01-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Sounds cool, I'll have to check this out! :think

KatieM
01-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the website!

Castle On A Cloud
01-16-2012, 11:06 AM
:popcorn to check this out later:-)

The Tickle Momster
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm The Tickle Momster there as well. I think I need to start using this again.

Anyone can add me if you want. I use a TON of different recipes. I rarely make the same meal 2x in 3 months. Although, that doesn't count simple things like quesadilla.

HindsFeet
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Cool! I sent you a request as well. I need new recipes. :)

JellyBean
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm Nici on there. :)

HindsFeet
01-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Ooh, more recipes to plunder. ;)

JellyBean
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Ooh, more recipes to plunder. ;)

Wow! You actually have more recipes than I do! :giggle Its fun going through others recipes. :D

MaiMama
01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Cool. I did the 30 day trial. I added everyone's login name mentioned in this thread I'm MaiMama there too.

relizabeth
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
I joined back then as a beta tester, and I have used it weekly ever since! :rockon

:ty JellyBean! :heart

JellyBean
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Hindsfeet I'm SOOOOO excited you have Pioneer Woman's tequila lime chicken recipe on there! That use to be one of my favorites and PW took it off her site and I didn't have it saved on PTE yet!

The Tickle Momster
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Guess I'd better get cracking at entering my meals and using this. I hate learning curves. :giggle

Mert
01-16-2012, 11:23 PM
I got started. :grin I'm loving the bulk uploader. It's making this pretty easy.

I hurt my eye last night so I can't sit in front of the computer for very long at a time. I want to friend y'all, but I haven't had a chance yet.

MaiMama
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I added some Paleo recipes. :D

HindsFeet
01-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Wow! You actually have more recipes than I do! :giggle Its fun going through others recipes. :D

:giggle Well, I get bored cooking the same stuff. And with this many people in the house, it's hard to find stuff that *everyone* likes. So I keep trying new things, and mostly we just rotate through different stuff so that even if you hate this meal, maybe the next one will be one of your favorites. Plus, I really do have to plan out every meal, or we end up eating junk and wasting a lot of food. One of my friends actually plans out all her snacks as well. I'd love to do that, but at this point it's easier to just let the kids get what they want off of the approved list.

Hindsfeet I'm SOOOOO excited you have Pioneer Woman's tequila lime chicken recipe on there! That use to be one of my favorites and PW took it off her site and I didn't have it saved on PTE yet!

That is so funny. It's one of the few things I've made of hers that I didn't like! I'm not a huge tequila fan, so I'm sure that doesn't help. It was just way too strong a taste for me. I've thought about deleting it, but haven't, so you were in luck. :)

sewing3girls
01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
:jawdrop
You made that list "off the top of your head in your car" ????

I meal plan 2 weeks at a time. It normally takes me like an hour, a dozen cook books, and a lot of head banging. Yeah, I have staple meals I include each 2 week cycle...but don't like to repeat things EVERY 2 week cycle. KWIM?

Wow. Thanks for sharing!! I need to take some time and look at the list and the website.

Mert
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
I just sent some requests. Feel free to add me if I missed anyone. I'm Mert in GA. :grin

Mert
01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I have another question.. how do you cook from the recipes on the site? Do you just take your computer/iPad/phone into the kitchen with you?

RealLifeMama
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
:jawdrop
You made that list "off the top of your head in your car" ????

I meal plan 2 weeks at a time. It normally takes me like an hour, a dozen cook books, and a lot of head banging. Yeah, I have staple meals I include each 2 week cycle...but don't like to repeat things EVERY 2 week cycle. KWIM?

Wow. Thanks for sharing!! I need to take some time and look at the list and the website.

That was last year, but yes. The sad thing is now I am dairy free and can't cook a lot of those dishes anymore. :(
Here is it, 45 minutes from dinnertime, and I have nothing! I need to start using the site again. :shifty

HindsFeet
01-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I have another question.. how do you cook from the recipes on the site? Do you just take your computer/iPad/phone into the kitchen with you?

Sometimes I take my netbook into the kitchen with me and cook straight from it. But usually I just print them out. I have a 3 ring binder to keep all my recipes that I have printed out, with tab dividers for categories and such.

Mert
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I have a 3 ring binder to keep all my recipes that I have printed out, with tab dividers for categories and such.

I have one of those, too. I thought I was replacing it with this system. :think

MaiMama
01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
With the binder system, do you just mark the pages and flip to them when you use them, or do you move the recipes to the "this week" section? And where do you put a huge 3-ring binder when you're cooking?

LMK if I need to spin this Q.

Mert
01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I have all my recipes in page protectors so I just pull out the 1 or 2 that I need.

HindsFeet
01-21-2012, 09:15 AM
I have one of those, too. I thought I was replacing it with this system. :think

There's no reason you can't just cook from your computer/phone whatever. Dh just freaks out about me having the computer there where I'm cooking (he's worried stuff will get spilled on it). Or you could print out the recipe when you're ready to cook and just toss it when you're done, but I don't like to waste the paper/ink.

The point of this system for me was not to replace all my recipe books. It was to make planning and shopping easier. Looking up the recipe is no biggie if I know what I'm making. :shrug3

With the binder system, do you just mark the pages and flip to them when you use them, or do you move the recipes to the "this week" section? And where do you put a huge 3-ring binder when you're cooking?

I just use it like any other cookbook. I have the recipes sorted out by appetizer, main dish, etc., and the main dished sorted by beef, chicken, and so on. So when I'm ready to cook I just turn to the section I need and find the recipe I'm using. And I guess I don't think of it as huge - it's not that much bigger than most of my cookbooks. I just lay it on the counter.

When you print, you have the option to print a 3x5 or 4x6 card size instead, though, so if size was an issue you could store them in a more traditional card file kind of system. I just find it easier to read in full page size.

MudPies
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I joined and added you all. I am Mudpies there too if I left anyone out. I am excited!!!

Mert
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm Mert in GA ('cause Mert is already in use on most other sites). I've added or at least attempted to add everyone from this thread, but if I missed you, please feel free to send me a request! I'd :heart to have more friend's recipes. :grin

Llee
01-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Okay.

I'm diving in.

LoraM.

MaiMama
01-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm having a hard time thinking a whole week (or even a few days) in advance, with different meals for so many parts of our family.

Jimmy breakfast
our breakfast

Jimmy's lunch
Trinity's lunch
our lunch

Jimmy's dinner
our dinner

Jimmy's snacks
our snacks

:phew

One day of that and I already feel overwhelmed. Do any of you have dietary issues too that you are planning around?

:phew

Mert
01-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes, my dh eats low-carb, and ds is gf/cf which actually aren't that different. Ds is a VERY picky eater though so he doesn't actually eat what dh and I have at most meals. I hadn't ever really included him in my menus before. I just keep his stuff stocked. I'm trying to add some of his items that I make from scratch to the list just so they'll be included on the shopping list. What dietary issues are you planning around, MaiMama?

MaiMama
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Jimmy recently did a blood test and has a list of frustrating things he can't have.

black pepper
onions
garlic
avocado
garbanzo beans
mint

Just look at those top three and think of how many main dishes have to be altered.:( There are several more, but these are the biggies.

He's also eating paleo-ish to lose weight, so there's more restrictions.

no grains
no dairy
almost no fruit (Only one apple or handful of berries a day)
only small amounts of the high-fiber root veggies (carrots ok, sweet potatoes aren't)

He's not supposed to eat the same kinds of meat too many days/meals in a row, too.

So basically, he eats meat, eggs, nuts, and (low-carb/high-fiber) veggies. :phew

http://primalpalate.spreadshirt.com/i-don-t-eat-crap-A7748978/customize/color/2

I might get it for Jimmy to celebrate when he gets to his next weight loss goal. (He's already lost 50 pounds. The first 20 were primarily by, as he says, cutting out crap.)

I also just have a hard time making decisions in general. And I'm a member of a co-op, so I'm not always sure wh
at food is coming.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Also, no legumes.

Except he can have anything that's not on his top allergy list on cheat day. So then I'm making a multi-course meal that day. :phew :tired

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Oh, AND he's now gluten free, which is only an issue on cheat day.

Mert
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
That is alot to plan around! I was df for a couple of years while ds was still bfing. Just that one thing made cooking and planning kinda tricky. I figured out ways to change recipes and modify things for us. I'm sure you'll get into a groove. It may not seem like it now, though. :hug

HindsFeet
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
I haven't had to work around that much stuff, but we have gone through phases of cutting out different things in the past. We tried Feingold for about a month last year, and that about killed me. I think we could have done it except for the lack of tomatoes. The vast majority of things I cook involve tomato sauce. Then dh went through a phase where he was eating similarly to your husband - pretty much meat, non-starchy veggies, and a few fruits. Sometimes it helps to get one week's worth of stuff planned out, and then just repeat over and over. As you get in the groove, then you can plan out another week and rotate them, and so on. Eventually you can have several week's worth of menus pre-made, and then you can just select which ones you want to use.

A few years ago (before I was using the site) I had a month's worth of meals planned out, and that was the basis of each month. As the week approached, if I wanted to try something new I could just substitute it for one of the standard meals. But if I was too busy to even think about what we were going to eat, I just used what was on the plan.

MaiMama
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
That's a good idea. I'm trying to add in the little things that I know we are eating. We are having something daily, even if it's not planned, so writing down/ entering what we are doing is a good start.

Cozi has a menu section, but plantoeat really does have more features. I like being able to account for what is in the pantry, since we try to keep lots of stuff on hand.

Mert
01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
I just noticed the box on the right hand side of the shopping list. Can anyone explain how to use and utilize this?? :ty4

Llee
01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
The pantry? I have listed in there things that I already have, that recipes called for--that way I don't buy them again.

And if you look on the bottom of My Pantry, it'll pull up recipes using only stuff you have in your pantry. :rockon

HindsFeet
01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
When you make your shopping list for the first time, it pulls up all the ingredients from all your recipes. You can check off the ones you already have and then check "to pantry". If it pulls up something random - like "for the sauce" (PW's recipes do that often) then you can just check "remove". Likewise, you can go through the list in your pantry, and if you see that it says something is there that you're low on, you can click it and add "to list".

You have the option each time of leaving things as they were before, thereby building up the contents of the pantry, or clearing your pantry so that the process starts from scratch.

There is also a "staples" list that you can go through, and add stuff to your list from there. You can modify the contents of that list to fit your family's basics.

The only thing I find mildly annoying about the process is that I'll sometimes end up with the same item listed multiple times (either on my list or in the pantry) because it is not listed exactly the same way in recipes. E.g. - eggs, Eggs, large eggs, whole eggs - all show up differently. So you either have to deal with that, or make a point to go through your recipes and make sure that they are listing the same ingredient exactly the same way.

Mert
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I just printed my first shopping list!! :heart This feels almost as good as someone else cleaning my kitchen!! :ty4 for sharing this site!!!! :grin

HindsFeet
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Glad you're enjoying it!

MaiMama
02-03-2012, 06:54 AM
So far I haven't managed to plan far enough ahead to get to the shopping list. I've spent plenty of hours adding tweaking recipes, though. I found out we've spent over a thousand dollars (spoilered for the faint of heart) each month for the past three months just on groceries. :( So in the next two weeks I have to decide whether I'm going to do the work it takes to let this thing help save me money, or if it's just another tool I wouldn't properly utilize. :pray4

HindsFeet
02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
We spend at least that much on groceries each month - with planning well and not buying much in the way of convenience foods. :(

The Tickle Momster
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
We spend at least that much on groceries each month - with planning well and not buying much in the way of convenience foods. :(
Us too. Although, I haven't been planning as much. :sigh

HindsFeet
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I figure it's only going to get worse from here. :sigh With three boys approaching the teenage/preteen years... yikes. They are hungry critters!

MaiMama
02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah, you have a little more of an excuse than we do, with three littler ones. But Jimmy is going to be gone from mid-June to mid-September, so we can save some them. Beans and rice and rice and beans to pay for his grass-fed beef. Okay, apparently I'm a bit resentful.

HindsFeet
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, it's the meat that really kills us. Dh doesn't do vegetarian meals at all. I will make meatless stuff for me and the kids when he's not eating with us, though.

ECingMama
02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I joined this in Nov but haven't used it yet. Am motivated.

ECingMama
02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
OK, I just friended you all on there. I am ECMama on it. :) I hope to add a few recipes today! I paid for it when it was 50% off on Black Friday!

ECingMama
02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I've added two recipes that I love and 38 recipes from a childhood friend's blog that she claims are wonderful! All of you have not accepted my friend request. Puh-lease!

HindsFeet
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I responded to all the friend requests I got. Maybe you should try again?

ECingMama
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
re-sent....ab (something_at yahoo.com is me ECMama

Heather R
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I haven't paid for my subscription yet, so I don't think I can add anybody at the moment. I will pay eventually, though, so I'll add you then.
Heather

Happygrl
12-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Anyone still using this? I started about a month ago and I'm loving it.

Happygrl6 is my username.

RealLifeMama
12-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I use it off and on.
I love how they keep making it easier to add your recipes. The whole site just keeps getting better and better.
:rockon

ECingMama
12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I renewed.

Mert
12-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, I'm still using and :heart it!!

HindsFeet
12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Yep, still there.

The Tickle Momster
12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I still use it. More like a Pinterest board for recipes. :giggle. I would love to see an app so I can use it's fullest features on the iPad.

Happygrl
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I think I sent friend invites to everyone who replied. :)

Mert
12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Are we already friends, Tricia? If not, feel free to include me. I'm Mert in GA. Anyone can add me that's interested. I :heart getting ideas from other's recipes.

Maggirayne
12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Does this cost? It is monthly?

HindsFeet
12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
You can try it for free for 30 days. After that it's $40 a year, IIRC.

Mert
12-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't know if this is going to be a yearly thing, but they did a Black Friday price of $20. I was able to renew even though my year wasn't up.

ncsweetpea
12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Amy-I'm not on this site, but i would love your ABC meatball soup recipe. I had to buy a case of gf alphabet pasta. Need to use it up!

And roasted sticky chicken, cause it just sounds good!!!

Elora
12-29-2012, 06:10 PM
i want to try! i sent some invites from "taralon"

HindsFeet
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't know if this is going to be a yearly thing, but they did a Black Friday price of $20. I was able to renew even though my year wasn't up.

I know they've done it at least the past couple of years. I'm betting it's a regular occurrence.

ECingMama
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I renewed on black Friday t ok. :)

CoffeeMom
12-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I have started using this site & love it. I don't know how to add friends, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JellyBean
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I definitely still use it! I now the owner of it tried doing an app for the iphone when he first launched the site and got burned by someone who was suppose to design the app. Not sure if he plans on revisiting that anytime soon though. The mobile version on your phone is very easy to use though if you just go directly to the website. I've started doing that instead of printing off my grocery list b/c you can just check off what you bought at the store!

Mert
01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
The mobile version on your phone is very easy to use though if you just go directly to the website. I've started doing that instead of printing off my grocery list b/c you can just check off what you bought at the store!

Thanks for sharing that info. I was hoping to be able to do the shopping list paperless when I have my new phone. :grin

Happygrl
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
I love the mobile version of the shopping list. I don't always have good connections in my grocery store, so it can be slow to update. I always make sure to have it open before I even go into the store in case I lose total connection.

Hopetobe
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Subbing

RealLifeMama
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know how to remove recipes from your queue without adding them to the planner?

The Tickle Momster
01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
There is a button on the top right to remove ALL recipes from the queue.

Not sure you can do individual ones. :think

4MKfam
01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Subbing. Just switched from emeals to plantoeat --since emeals seems to be ignoring my repeated requests to do a plant-based plan (harumph :snooty). They do a vegetarian one, but it's too heavy on the dairy for our needs :(. Otherwise, I loved emeals, but once I get the hang of it, I think this'll work as well.

Happygrl
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Does anyone know how to remove recipes from your queue without adding them to the planner?

When you open your queue, click on 'queued' under the recipe.