PDA

View Full Version : kid friendly meatballs/mini meat loaf recipes

houseforjoy
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
what do you put in your meatballs /mini meatloafs (like when you put them in a muffin tin)

need some ideas, since i feel like doing something different. i don't need *exact* recipes, just a general ingredient list unless you put something in in an unexpected amount.... like if you list garlic, i would put in a a few cloves, but if you mean garlic as like the secret ingred and put in 10 cloves then list it if that makes sense!!

jujubnme
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Dh won't eat meatloaf, but ds loves this very basic version:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mini-meatloaves/Detail.aspx

(except I've never added the cheese)

houseforjoy
01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
that is actually way different then what i do! thanks!!

StumblinMama
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Dh won't eat meatloaf, but ds loves this very basic version:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mini-meatloaves/Detail.aspx

(except I've never added the cheese)

This is very similar to how I do it :yes I usually use breadcrumbs instead of oats, and I add a little bit of balsamic vinegar to the ketchup/mustard/brown sugar glaze. The cheese makes it extra yummy and moist.

AngelaVA
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I need to read this thread too, I rarely make meatloaf because my kids dislike it so much!

Apple-Saucy
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Meat Loaf-Chopped Green Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Carrot (yeah CARROT) and sometimes Spinach if I'm feeling like an Evil Genius :giggle Saute it all together until tender. Allow to cool before adding to Lean ground turkey, I mix in a handful or so of oats, and an egg to hold everything together. Deposit into whatever size loaf I desire and then top with either Ketchup or Tomato paste...whichever I have on hand.

Meatballs-Palmful of Dried "italian style" herbs, saute'd onion and garlic, bread crumbs and egg. Mix with Lean ground turkey (I haven't bought red meat in years) I use a medium cookie scoop from PC to make meat balls and cook them in the oven on a sheet pan.

houseforjoy
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
well i used the allrecipe and everyone loved it!

i do actually usually put some veggies in it but i started feeling really sick yesterday so i decided to just do it as is. meatloaf is usually a very good medium for putting all kinds of stuff, like the meat version of a smoothie :giggle

StumblinMama
01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Glad it turned out well! I'm going to have to make a meatloaf this week after reading this thread.

MomtoJGJ
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
it's late, but I'll post what I do :)

mix salsa, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper and an egg (all to taste except the egg) add in about 1/2 cup or so of oats, more if more salsa
add in 1.5lbs ground turkey and bake

when it's time to eat I liberally apply ketchup and bake again for 15 minutes.

I have added in all sorts of veggies, but that's my basic recipe.

Amber
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I made Pioneer Woman's BBQ meatballs (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/bbq-meatballs-comfort-food-to-the-max/) last night and it was declared the yummiest meal ever by both boys :tu