PDA

View Full Version : The pattern calls for a D hook...

NovelMama
01-01-2011, 11:20 PM
...but it takes me an H to get the gauge big enough--as long as I make my foundation chain insanely loose. :doh

Apparently I crochet a little tight. :-/

So do I have any chance of completing this project successfully? I'm trying to make fingerless gloves. With super fine yarn.

righteous mama
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
No clue, but it's nice to know there is someone out there with the same issue. I had my grandma nearly falling off her chair laughing when I showed her my beautiful attempt at crocheting a baby blanket. It was in the shape of a "U". I said, "Stop laughing! What did I do wrong?" She said I made my stitches beautiful...but too tight. Then suggested I use it as a toilet rug. Funny, Grandma...real funny.

NovelMama
01-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Sigh. I got the length of the gauge right now that I'm using the H hook, but it still took 2 more rows than the gauge calls for to get it to 4inches. I have NO idea how to make my stitches taller. I HATE this part of starting a new project! My gauges NEVER come out right. It takes so much experimenting with tension and hooks. And now I really don't know what to do, since, like I said, I don't know how to make stitches taller. This yarn doesn't frog easily; it's a little fuzzy and the fuzzy parts get caught up in each other so that when I try to pull out my work they get knotted up. I had to cut off the last two gauges I did because I couldn't get them to unravel. Point being, I don't want to start the project without knowing exactly what hook and tension to use, because if I get halfway through and have to frog, I'm going to end up losing a lot of yarn because I'll have to just cut it off.

TestifyToLove
01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Have you tried NOT pulling on your yarn as you crochet. Really, you are supposed to guide the yarn with your hand, but not tug at ALL, just hold it in place. Its when you hold the yarn instead of letting it slide over your hand that you pull it too tight.

NovelMama
01-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Hm, shall try this...

righteous mama
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Have you tried NOT pulling on your yarn as you crochet. Really, you are supposed to guide the yarn with your hand, but not tug at ALL, just hold it in place. Its when you hold the yarn instead of letting it slide over your hand that you pull it too tight.
That's totally what I do. I keep thinking that it needs to be a certain way...nice and tight as if I was sewing or something. I need to relax. I think I want to control the yarn instead of allowing the yarn to just be. Maybe it's more of a psychological issue...not so much a crafting issue. :giggle Maybe if I can manage to let go of this I will manage to let go of so much more in my life. Hmmmmm.

NovelMama
01-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Lol Marcella. :hug

S I did a real loosey-goosey gauge and it half worked! :giggle The number of stitches was perfect--but this time I had too many rows for the 4inches. Not quite sure how to fix one without ruining the other, but I'm going to try depressing my hook size a bit and being loose again, just to see what happens.

ETA: just realized I'm supposed to be doing the gauge in extended sc! Back to the drawing board!

NovelMama
01-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Woohoo! I got my gauge! And with an E hook--a bit more doable for gloves, I would imagine, than an H. :giggle

Mama Rophe
01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
I just posted about this same pattern. Getting the gauge right is crazy making.