PDA

View Full Version : Mildew in the walls of a Little Tikes climber

solatido
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
So yesterday we decided to bring in T's little climbing cube to alleviate the winter crazies. It was dirty so I took each piece into the tub and hosed it down. Well, some water got in the little holes that are built into the pieces. When I shook it out some nasty stuff came out (probably bugs and such climbed in and built nests :sick) so I sprayed more in and shook it out. It didn't get all the stuff but I thought the water was out. We noticed a little and got some more out yesterday, but not every drop. DH said don't worry about it.

Now it smells like mildew. I'm convinced it's a new smell b/c we did not notice it yesterday at all, and we even left for a few hours and came back and should have noticed it then. It must have grown overnight.

I read on the website that you can drill holes in the pieces (for draining water) as long as they are 1" from the seam. So I plan to do that. I wonder if I should use some TTO somehow to kill what is in there.

Any ideas for how to get some TTO in there? I am :nails about spraying more water in there (and DH REALLY doesn't want me to) but if there are holes to drain out what is in there... But I have a "horn flush" hose that is made to pressure wash the inside of brass instruments so I could spray hot water in there and get to a lot of the nooks and crannies... For sure we're going to put it outside until we figure out a solution.

Part of the problem is that DH doesn't want me to spend hours working on it, but I think that's b/c HE wouldn't want to do it himself. It's kind of hard to explain but he doesn't want me to do something he would find immensly frustrating to do himself. And he's afraid that spraying more water in would make it worse- he's probably right, but if I can drain out the existing water, why not spray a little more in to wash out the mildew smell?

Any experience with this? Ideas?

Waterlogged
01-01-2011, 10:59 AM
i wouldn't put more water in. drilling holes sounds like a good idea....

solatido
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
For now I set up two fishtank air pumps and put a piece of cloth soaked in TTO over the ends of the tubes from the pumps. Stuck the cloth end in one hole of two pieces so am getting a small amount of air flow inside. Hard to tell if it's making a difference, but I let it run all day so we shall see.

I won't be adding any more water, that's for sure!

Rabbit
01-01-2011, 08:37 PM
You can pour rubbing alcohol in it.