PDA

View Full Version : Worsted weight yarn

Blue Savannah
01-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm looking for a good worsted weight yarn. What are some favorites? :cup ETA: Wool yarn, that is. ;)

gardenfreshmama
01-01-2011, 09:57 AM
:cup
Are you looking for brands?

SilverMoon
01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
:popcorn

I just started to use wool within the last year, but haven't been 'in love' with what I've used. The yarn was good enough for my purpose. I found it at Hobby Lobby, and the brand might have been Yarn Bee or I Love This Yarn. I did use a Bernat wool for my dad's vest and found it ok. I think I'd like it to be softer, though.

Serafine
01-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Karabella is a fine merino worsted one I haven't seen touted often, but it is as soft as cotton...we have budgie bloomers made out of it, and I LOVE to touch it.

http://www.karabellayarns.com/yarns.aspx

Of course, we all know malabrigo is awesome. :melting

Blue Savannah
01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh, yeah. . . Malabrigo is awesome. :hearts I'm looking for more of a mid-line. Cascade is decent, but I think I could find something similar I like a bit better. Lamb's Pride is great, but the mohair does make it a bit on the scratchier side.

I will look into that Karabella!

Serafine
01-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't know if any of the wool I like is mid-line...you know me. :doh ;)

This stuff is nice and soft too. :yes

http://www.cestariltd.com/

ETA: I have only used/felt their superfine merino.

Kiara.I
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
It depends what you want it for. :shrug3 Softer yarns tend to pill more, so it's a bit of a trade-off. If you want it to look the same in 40 years, you need to get a stiffer yarn. So, it really depends.

But, I really, really like Mission Falls 1824. It's very soft, they have matching colours in the cotton yarn as well, so you can swap back and forth all you like (and the cotton softens up *beautifully*). It's a Canadian yarn, I think, so probably less well known than some of the others.

Also, I haven't knit with it (yet!) but I quite like Dream in Color Classy. And I hear great things about Blue Moon Fibre Arts (specializing in sock yarns, but they have lots of different weights available.)

Eowyn
01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
But, I really, really like Mission Falls 1824. It's very soft, they have matching colours in the cotton yarn as well, so you can swap back and forth all you like (and the cotton softens up *beautifully*). It's a Canadian yarn, I think, so probably less well known than some of the others.

My LYS carries it. :tu The wool is both sturdy and soft.

Grover
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Debbie Bliss -aran weight yarns -soft ,fairly sturdy not too pill[y] but contains microfibre-so no good for soakers or longies.I found it on offer sometimes