PDA

View Full Version : black eyed peas

believer
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I grew up in the south and we had black eyed peas every new years eve because you are supposed to do that to have good luck in the new year.
But I never liked them.
Does anyone have a good recipe for them?
I soaked some overnight and will cook them later today.
I know I have had them before in a cold salad - it was called Texas Caviar I think, and it was good, but I don't know that recipe.
And I probably will have enough for two different dishes - one hot and one cold - I soaked one cup of dried peas.
Thanks!

StumblinMama
12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Texas Caviar (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-rays-tasty-travels/texas-caviar-recipe/index.html)would be good if you don't like them the traditional way :yes As a matter of fact, I might have to go out and pick up the ingredients :giggle....

I remember my southern Granny cooking black eyed peas and "Hog Joe" (hog jowl) every New Years when she was still living

Marrae
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Pioneer Woman has a recipe on her blog today for a black eyed peas dip.

kklibrarian
01-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I can recommend the Texas Caviar or a dip like Pioneer Woman's if you don't like the traditional way. I myself love them just cooked down with sausage or hamhocks and served over rice. Mine are in the crockpot ready to serve. the cabbage is pre-cooked and waiting, the rice is on, and my cornbread just went in the oven. :yum

Blessings,
Kelly

eoconnel
01-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I love Texas Caviar. The way that I like my black eyed peas is cooked with onions and sometimes ham. I then top them with chow-chow.

StumblinMama
01-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I love Texas Caviar. The way that I like my black eyed peas is cooked with onions and sometimes ham. I then top them with chow-chow.

:yum I love good chow-chow :yes

Serafine
01-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Interesting tidbit I just read (no idea if it is factual...but thought I would still share):

Apparently, the reason that black eyed peas are used in the South as a "good luck" meal on New Years is b/c during the Civil War (I think...may have been the Revolutionary War ;)) one side was almost completely out of food...like borderline starving to death...and then they came upon a huge crop of black eyed peas...which sustained them enough to do battle...

a battle that they ended up not winning. :doh

So...it seems as a slightly ironic good luck food...since they were sustained long enough to die in defeat. :doh

believer
01-01-2011, 10:21 AM
what is chow-chow?

I just cooked the peas with some turkey ham - did not have real ham - and onions and a few drops of liquid smoke and they were fine. I would have preferred the tx caviar but did not have all the ingredients and did not feel like going out for them.

J3K
01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
who else clicked on this thinking about the musical group ?

Then I read "But I never liked them."

And I thought then why start a thread ? I kept reading.

"Does anyone have a good recipe for them?"

:think Does she mean can anyone recommend a song ? I've never heard it called that before. Recipe. Ha. Funny stuff. I kept reading.

"I soaked some overnight and will cook them later today." and I thought in that split second before it clicked "That'll surely ruin the CD"....wait... :doh

What ? I haven't had all my coffee yet.

Six Little Feet
01-01-2011, 10:35 AM
How can you not like "I've Got a Feeling" Jen?

StumblinMama
01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
what is chow-chow?

I just cooked the peas with some turkey ham - did not have real ham - and onions and a few drops of liquid smoke and they were fine. I would have preferred the tx caviar but did not have all the ingredients and did not feel like going out for them.

Chow-chow (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001911336)is a southern relish. It can be savory and sweet or spicy. You can put it on just about anything, and it's so yummy!

eoconnel
01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
It was the Civil War.

Chow-chow is a cabbage based relish. It can be made spicy or tangy. I use chow chow with mayonaise to make tarter sauce, add to my tuna fish for tuna fish salad.

Cassie and I posted at the same time.