PDA

View Full Version : Confession: I tried to bake healthy for Christmas and...

TrinMama
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I didn't like it. :bag I signed up for Nourished Kitchens holiday e-course with recipes and tips on making favorites more healthy. Some things have been great. :yes But I'll take my baked goods with AP flour, thanks much. :snooty :shifty

I really do want to bake healthier, or less in general. But my gingerbread and whole wheat challah were really disappointing. :snooty

allisonintx
12-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Whole grains are tricky to get the knack with to bake. Christmas probably isn't the ideal time/foods to start with.

houseforjoy
12-27-2010, 03:59 PM
i HIGHLY recommend the king arthur's cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Flour-Whole-Grain-Baking/dp/0881507199/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293490655&sr=8-2

It has made a huge difference in my baking. i use pretty much all whole wheat and yeah sometimes things didn't turn out so great. i checked this book out from the library and it has SO SO SO many tips on cooking and baking with whole grain flours. like using orange juice... seriously 2 tbs in a cookie recipe significantly changes the flavor (but not to taste like orange juice!!)

i can't recommend it enough.

Taedareth
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Christmas is a nostalgic time when we try to recreate the wonderfulness of our childhood memories. If you didn't grow up eathing whole wheat baked goods at Christmastime, don't worry about trying to do it now. Even if it tastes good, you might not be happy because it doesn't match up with the flavors you expect during the holidays.

Just work on developing your new style of baking the rest of the year. :yes

The Tickle Momster
12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
i HIGHLY recommend the king arthur's cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Flour-Whole-Grain-Baking/dp/0881507199/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293490655&sr=8-2

It has made a huge difference in my baking. i use pretty much all whole wheat and yeah sometimes things didn't turn out so great. i checked this book out from the library and it has SO SO SO many tips on cooking and baking with whole grain flours. like using orange juice... seriously 2 tbs in a cookie recipe significantly changes the flavor (but not to taste like orange juice!!)

i can't recommend it enough.
I 2nd this! :yes It is hands down the BEST book on whole grain baking!