PDA

View Full Version : a stupid question, I'm sure, but...how do I cook chicken?

NovelMama
12-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm making chicken salad for AJ's birthday on Tuesday. Lots of it. And this may sound weird, but I've never *just* cooked chicken--it's always been *in* something. So how do I cook it (in large amounts)?

Psyche
12-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I'd probably bake it in the oven, covered with tin foil. Or throw it in the crock pot with some broth to make some very tender chicken.

SilverMoon
12-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd make it in the crockpot with broth and seasoning or boil it on the stove. Then you can shred it easily for the salad.

NovelMama
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd probably bake it in the oven, covered with tin foil. Or throw it in the crock pot with some broth to make some very tender chicken.

Since I don't have a crockpot, I'll probably bake it. At what temperature? For how long? I am a totally clueless idiot in the kitchen; walk me through it like I'm 5. :giggle

Chaos Coordinator
12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
are you making a whole chicken or chicken breasts?

i just put the chicken breasts in a casserole dish at 350 for like 45 min - an hour. i usually wind up having to take it out, cut it open and check it and then sometimes cook it longer.

Apple-Saucy
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
For chicken breasts I do covered 375 for about a half hour-45min

SilverMoon
12-26-2010, 10:42 PM
When I boil it on the stove, I put all the chicken pieces into a huge stockpot and pour enough water over the chicken to cover the pieces, plus a little more because it will evaporate during boiling.
I like to add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a pinch each of thyme, marjoram, parsley and oregano. Then bring the water to a boil and the chicken should be cooked in 30-45 minutes or so. It can be difficult to pull it out because when it's cooked it'll be very tender and fall apart easily, so I use a slotted spoon to scoop the pieces out.
If you added the seasonings to the water before boiling, once the pieces are out you have chicken broth, which you can save to make soup.

Serafine
12-27-2010, 07:19 AM
I do like Cynthia - you can do that with boneless or bone-in chicken. I like that is is dual duty (broth for later, plus super moist chicken for the salad).

Fallin2Grace
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I usually bake it in the oven at 375. Check it once its been in there for 35 minutes...mine usually takes closer to an hour or 45 minutes though....hmmm that makes me want some juicey chicken legs with BBQ sauce...yum! lol

Niphredil
01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
IME, boiled chicken makes the best chicken salad. It's soooo moist and yummy. :yes :yum

kwisie
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd boil it, too. :)

Teribear
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
making chicken for chicken salad is going to be tricky in the oven. I'd boil it. If its the least bit dry it doesn't do well in chicken salad. Honestly, most of the time I buy canned chicken when I make chicken salad.

Apple-Saucy
01-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I bought a rotisserie chicken the other day...MMmmmMMMM I think that may be my preferred whole chicken cooking method from now....Drive to Walmart buy chicken. :giggle