PDA

View Full Version : What do you serve with this?

Niphredil
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Bean & sausage casserole... it's M's favourite and I can't stand it. I suffer trhough it once a week and am always starving by 8. But I can't for the life of me think that to serve with it.

You take very sweet baked beans, add browned sausage and bake cornbread into the top. I think it is absolutely disgusting and nothing seems to go with it.

:help

TuneMyHeart
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
cole slaw, a tossed salad, mac & cheese, fruit salad :shrug

it sounds unappealing to me. :bag

April G
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd make brown rice. But yeah, that sounds :yuck to me too.

Blue Savannah
12-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Pizza? :shifty

I'd do a really good salad, mixed greens, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, feta cheese, dressing. . . something really substantial.

And about 8, I'd dig into some Ben & Jerry's.

Niphredil
12-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, pizza sounds good.

I'm glad you all think it sounds unappealing. It's really awful. Oddly enough his whole family loves it. Ugh. But M is such a picky eater and we can't afford so many of his favourite foods and this is cheap enough... so I force it down once a week as an act of service for my DH. :sigh

I had thought about salad... but I was afraid the association might turn me off from it. :shifty Maybe I'll try one next time.

Does anyone else have a DH who's favourite "meals just like mom made" are really strange? Ground beef and cream of mushroom soup over white rice? Refried beans and taco meat "pie"? :yuck

Indigo
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I'd do a salad too - nice, light accompaniment. Do you like the sausage? Maybe you could have some on the side (cooked separately from those beans!) w/your salad as an added protein.

mamaKristin
12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Tums?

I'd go for a salad, myself.

Tengokujin
12-22-2010, 08:22 PM
First of all, good for you for doing this each week!

I'd suggest putting whatever veggies or salad would make the meal complete to your DH with it. But I'd also strategically plan to also serve the "leftovers" from the previous night's more delicious dinner along with it so I'd be able to make a meal of it all too.

Niphredil
12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
M doesn't like veggies or salad. If forced he'll eat iceberg with cheese and his weight in ranch dressing. To him it is a complete meal. :shrug3 It does make him really happy and, sadly, is one of the more nutritious foods he'll eat.

I would do left overs, but I eat leftovers exclusively for lunch, so those are usually long, long gone by the next nights dinner.

It's such an odd combination, I just cannot pin a veggie side that would actually "go" with it.

Macky
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
That sounds really heavy. Do you really have to have it once a week? We don't repeat any meal that often, never mind one that someone really doesn't like. I can see the sausage and beans together (but not sweet ones), but not the cornbread. That meal is begging for some greenery. Definitely a green salad. I make a cucumber salad that might be okay, too – cucumbers and red onion tossed in a scratch creamy popyseed dressing. Although, a creamy dressing is not exactly a great compliment to a heavy entree either. How about any sort of steamed veggie or even a nice pile of carrots?

ETA (since we posted at the same time): Veggies aren't an option here – especially for adults :jawdrop – so I'm not sure what to say.

Baked beans always have an association with chili for me, so that's where I'd go for inspiration. Tomatoes: slice fresh and serve on the side either alone or with an oil and vinegar dressing, maybe even mozzarella slices. Green peppers: stuff them with the bean/sausage concoction and have the cornbread on the side? Mushrooms, well seasoned and sauteed with something else... oh, red peppers or maybe asparagus? Fresh corn?

Niphredil
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
We have it once a week because it's cheap and he adores it. Our grocery budget is dismal, at best. This dinner kills two birds with one stone. :shrug3

Cherish
12-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Sweet potatoes, sliced into rounds, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary if you like it, baked at the same time as the casserole. It would be nutritious and filling for you, and since it's in his color range, maybe your dh would eat some, too? :)

cbmk4
12-23-2010, 06:28 AM
spinach citrus salad might lighten it up.

just saw that salad isn't an option.

in a casserole like that, I'd put finely chopped kale or swiss chard which are both very mild tasting but nutritious.

Serafine
12-23-2010, 06:29 AM
I second the sweet potatoes - you could even make them into fries. We cut them into fry shape, toss with oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder...bake/roast until done.

What about sauteed greens (kale, spinach)? Or, cook some frozen turnip greens/kale...and serve with butter and/or a little pepper vinegar? (even if he doesn't eat them...it could be a side for you. :shrug

MomtoJGJ
12-23-2010, 06:34 AM
hmmm... it actually sounds really good for a cold winter night :bag I'd probably put something green in it like maybe puree some carrots and spinach and put in it.... We'd have it as a meal with nothing with it :bag

cbmk4
12-23-2010, 07:04 AM
you inspired my dinner tonight! I had some kale that needed to be used up and some chicken sausage, so I have a black-eyed pea/bean soup started in the slow cooker. The ingredients are

black eyed peas and kidney beans, chicken sausage, onion and garlic, celery and carrots, kale, red potatoes with vegetable stock, pepper, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds.