PDA

View Full Version : why do you always stir in vanilla

SouthPaw
12-21-2010, 03:06 PM
after something is done being heated? this has been a mystery to me forever. :giggle

Soliloquy
12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I think because the alcohol would evaporate and lessen the flavor. Not positive, though.

Tengokujin
12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I just googled around a bit, and I agree w/PP--the heat would weaken the vanilla flavor a bit. So, when you are making fudge or candy or something on the stove, you add it after everything else has been heated to the goal temperature.

In baked goods, of course, this doesn't fly because it has to be BAKED. But the temperature is lower too.

And for FREE--I learned that "vanilla is a powerful flavor potentiator." Meaning it makes other flavors seem more powerful. Kewl huh!

mountainash
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
You can buy candy flavoring oils that don't evaporate/weaken when heated but you cannot use them in things like meringues or angle food cakes where the oil would cause the recipe to deflate.

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

relizabeth
12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Yep. Since it's mostly alcohol the flavor evaporates with the likker.
:giggle

Ajani
12-22-2010, 09:19 AM
And for FREE--I learned that "vanilla is a powerful flavor potentiator." Meaning it makes other flavors seem more powerful. Kewl huh!

:yes That's why it's called "the salt of the baking world." Mind you, salt is used in baking too...

Leen
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, when I add it into (hot) homemade chocolate sauce for ice cream or into homemade hot chocolate at the end, after it's done cooking, it always bubbles really big when the alcohol comes in contact with the hot liquid and evaporates. I kind of love watching that reaction so I may or may not put in a little more than the recipe calls for just so it's bigger and bubblier. :shifty :giggle Also, vanilla is awesome so more = better anyway!