PDA

View Full Version : bean soaking/soup questions

believer
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I am soaking 7 bean and barley soup mix. It has split peas and lentils and barley and 4 types of beans in it. I did not soak it last night - too lazy. So, will it be ok if it just soaks about 8 hours today before I start cooking it? I started it soaking this morning.

Also, I am going to make a big pot of soup using the bean mix and lots of other stuff - it will be like stone soup I guess.
I want to make it so we can eat some tonight and then I want to take it to church in the morning for the potluck lunch.
Do you think it would be ok to just leave in the crockpot on warm all night?

It will have the beans and turkey and some turkey stock and veggie stock and a bit of tomato soup and pumpkin soup that were leftovers that I froze and some carrots and potatos and whatever else I find to toss in it and some maple smoked bacon and I don't know if the veggies will turn to mush if it cooks all night and if it did would that be better or worse?

thx

eoconnel
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
You can boil the beans for an hour and that should work and then add all your other ingredients and cook until the beans are soft and the other stuff is cooked.

BTW send some to me NC.:lol

believer
12-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks. It is great soup - we had some for dinner and I put the rest in the crock of the crock pot and put it in the fridge. I will just put it in the crock pot and turn it on high in the morning to warm it up before church. I was afraid it was too thin so I added millet, rice and amaranth. It is a really thick and yummy soup.

Peridot
12-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Yay! for stone soup!
:clap