TrinMama
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich cookies

1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1 3/4 c sugar, divided (save 1/2 c to roll cookies in)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tub of frosting
1/2 c crushed candy canes

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt.

Melt butter, add 1 1/4 c sugar, then whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla, then stir in flour mixture. Chill for 2 or more hours.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll chilled dough into 1in balls, then roll sugar. Place on cookie sheet, and flatten gently with your fingers.

Bake 12 minutes, or until set. Cool 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to racks.

Finally, make sandwiches by spreading frosting on the bottom of one cookie and topping with another. Roll the edges in crushed candycanes!

***to up the peppermint flavor, you could add a bit of peppermint flavor/extract to the frosting or the cookie dough***

Serafine
12-18-2010, 10:17 AM
And I officially am in love with you. :grin

Lady TS
12-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I knew I bought mint flavoring for a reason! :heart

solatido
12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I make "oreo" frosting by whipping powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla into coconut oil. That might work too :-) I think it's like 2 c pwdr sugar in 1/2 c coconut oil with a tsp of vanilla? I'm not a big measurer :blush

Can'tTurnLeft
12-19-2010, 11:25 AM
First you give me nuggets of joy, now this. :melting

TrinMama
12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
I make "oreo" frosting by whipping powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla into coconut oil. That might work too :-) I think it's like 2 c pwdr sugar in 1/2 c coconut oil with a tsp of vanilla? I'm not a big measurer :blush

ooooooh that sounds great!

RealLifeMama
12-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks!
I was really bummed yesterday to discover that all the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's were all gone until next year.
I was going to try to make some sandwich cookies just by using a modified brownie mix, but I imagine those will be soft. Do these come out crunchy?

TrinMama
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks!
I was really bummed yesterday to discover that all the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's were all gone until next year.
I was going to try to make some sandwich cookies just by using a modified brownie mix, but I imagine those will be soft. Do these come out crunchy?

They aren't as crunchy as a cracker or as Joe-Joe's...but maybe they'd be crunchier if you flatten them more, or bake them a bit longer. I like chewy, so I let them stay on the softer side.

LadybugSam
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
i think the title of this thread may be against the GCM statement of beliefs :giggle

SouthPaw
12-19-2010, 12:38 PM
that sounds so good

the little cafe at our school has christmas cookies... chocolate with chocolate chips and walnuts and white frosting and crushed peppermints... :melting

coooookieeeeeeeees :shifty

Amor_Vincet_Omnia
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I've never had Joe-Joes chocolate peppermint cookies; however, I did make this recipe you shared and they are a BIG hit! :) Although, instead of making them sandwhiches I just frosted the tops of the cookies and sprinkled them with crushed candy canes since individual cookies makes more to share instead of sandwhiching them. :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe!! :)

TrinMama
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I've never had Joe-Joes chocolate peppermint cookies; however, I did make this recipe you shared and they are a BIG hit! :) Although, instead of making them sandwhiches I just frosted the tops of the cookies and sprinkled them with crushed candy canes since individual cookies makes more to share instead of sandwhiching them. :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe!! :)

glad you liked them!