PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Delights

Ajani
12-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I just put a batch of these in the fridge. http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/turkish-delights I used 2 large Meyer lemons instead of the orange and lemon (Meyers aren't as tart as regular lemons), and a little yellow colouring. I hope they turn out. I want to give them as stocking stuffers, along with some other candies.

If they do turn out, I'm trying to figure out other flavours. Red grapefruit, sour orange... what else would be tart enough, or go with lemon to balance the sweetness?

Hermana Linda
12-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Cranberry? Rhubarb? :think

Ajani
12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Hmmm, rhubarb. I love rhubarb!

I bought some citric acid. I really think these need it. So when I make another batch, I'll add some to balance out the one dimensional sweetness. Plus I like sour candy. :yes

rebecuna
12-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I've been to Turkey a few times and Turkish Delight is everywhere and every flavor imaginable. The most popular actually don't have fruit in them (or at least not a fruity flavor), but nuts-- especially hazelnuts, and they can be inside or rolled in tiny chopped nuts on the outside. It's surprisingly good-- I thought the texture contrast would be weird but it works. Try coconut (and rolled in coconut) or mint (really nice). The fruit ones are never labeled, they just sell "mixed fruit" flavors and the colors are orange, yellow, pink, green, and white... I'm not sure I can even tell much of a difference in flavor. There's definitely an apple, and a strawberry, but I don't know how you'd get those flavors in there. Maybe fruit extracts would be enough? I've never made it...