PDA

View Full Version : I need a veggie casserole for next week

jewelmcjem
12-15-2010, 01:56 PM
We're doing a potluck staff Christmas party next Tuesday, and I said I'd bring some kind of veggie-sidedish-casserole-kinda-thingy. I was thinking of something with broccoli, but I'd love to hear your favorite veggie sidedish.

Any favorites?

bananacake
12-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Would a cornbread casserole work?

Serafine
12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
mmmm...mexican cornbread casserole :yum. (but I don't know that I could in good conscience call that a "veggie") :giggle

Mama Calidad
12-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Here you go: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/broccoli-casserole/Detail.aspx

:yum

bananacake
12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
It says "veggie casserole" in the OP :P~

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cornbread Casserole
4 cups cooked beans, more or less
Some ground turkey or beef, up to 1 lb (optional)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes, chopped finer if you want
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1/2 chopped onion
8 oz package corn
Shreeded cheese (optional)

If you're using meat, brown it, drain the fat, add a little water & add taco seasoning. I've done it with or without meat - it's good both ways. Add all other ingredients to pan & heat those up. Dump in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. I use an oval-shaped dish, as you can see in the picture.

The following is the cornbread topping. It's a basic cornbread recipe, with an extra egg and 1/2 cup liquid added.
1-2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk substitute or water
1/4 cup oil or soy-free margarine
1/4 sugar (optional - I leave it out)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup corn meal
1 1/4 cups baking mix or gluten-free flour plus 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Mix together liquids, and then add dry ingredients. Dump this on top of the bean mixture and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It'd be good with melted cheese and/or avocado cubes/guacamole.

Serafine
12-15-2010, 02:06 PM
BC - you know what's funny...I hadn't even read your post when I posted mine. :lol

Great minds think alike, I guess...at least when it comes to yummy casseroles.

Mine is different and less hearty, I think (and yours has more actual veggies, like tomatoes ;))

Mine is creamed corn, cornmeal, eggs, cheddar cheese, onions, oil, jalepenos. More like a dairy/carb casserole. :lol

Ajani
12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
How about this brunch enchilada, with beans in place of the ham? I plan on taking it to a potluck, but cutting each tortilla in half to double the recipe and decrease the portions.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Brunch-Enchiladas-3/?addtobox=y

jewelmcjem
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
We already have cheesy potatoes and bread for starches, so while I personally LOVE corn casserole, I think a true veg would be best. Thanks for the recipes, tho, they'll go into my stash!

It doesn't have to be vegetarian, but we have ham & poppyseed chicken already so another dish with meat isn't really necessary.

Ajani
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
(not a casserole, but super tasty) :yes
Seasoned Green Beans

1 pound fresh green beans, stem ends trimmed
2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup coarsely slivered shallots
6 cloves garlic, slivered
3/4 cup broth
6 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tbs. fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Juice of three limes, for serving

1. Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook until just
crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, and drain again. Set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, stirring until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and cook until the shallots are soft, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes.

3. Toss in the cooked green beans and fold together well. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and serve hot, with a squeeze of lime juice.

Or how about this Broccoli and Spinach Casserole that doesn't use cream of anything soup? http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/broccoli-and-spinach-casserole-57721

Serafine
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
ooh...if it can be a salad-y thing...this is yummy, so yummy.

green beans (cooked until still crisp tender - and cooled.)
craisins
feta cheese
walnuts/pecans
onion, halved/sliced - soaked in ice cold water to remove bite) - optional
dressing made from balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper (or you can use thyme vinegar or white wine vinegar...whatever fancy-schmancy vinegar you have).

SO yummy and very festive.

Ajani
12-15-2010, 03:06 PM
ooh...if it can be a salad-y thing...this is yummy, so yummy.

green beans (cooked until still crisp tender - and cooled.)
craisins
feta cheese
walnuts/pecans
onion, halved/sliced - soaked in ice cold water to remove bite) - optional
dressing made from balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper (or you can use thyme vinegar or white wine vinegar...whatever fancy-schmancy vinegar you have).

SO yummy and very festive.

That sounds fantastic! :rockon

Serafine
12-15-2010, 03:09 PM
ooh...and I have another cold salad (sorry, we do more cold salads than hot cassys around here)::

head raw broccoli - cut into small pieces (small, bitesize)
head raw cauliflower - cut into small pieces
cheddar cheese, shredded
sesame sticks (the ones that you find in trail mixes...not the breadstick kind)
craisins
cashews

mix a little mayo and lemon juice, salt and pepper
stir mayo mix into everything except the cashews and sesame sticks
refrigerate until serving
stir in cashews/sesame sticks right before serving, to keep crunchy

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

That sounds fantastic! :rockon

That is our traditional side dish for our xmas dinner. :yes

cbmk4
12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
well, this one is starchy due to quinoa, but it is fantastic if you want it for future reference. Just made it this week and everyone at home loved it. It's red quinoa with butternut squash, cranberries and pecans.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/01/red-quinoa-with-butternet-squash.html

this one also looks good. It's corn, chiles, zucchini, and black beans
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/06/summer-calabasitas.html

Serafine
12-16-2010, 06:41 AM
well, this one is starchy due to quinoa, but it is fantastic if you want it for future reference. Just made it this week and everyone at home loved it. It's red quinoa with butternut squash, cranberries and pecans.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/01/red-quinoa-with-butternet-squash.html

this one also looks good. It's corn, chiles, zucchini, and black beans
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/06/summer-calabasitas.html

We have made both of those in the past and they are yummy. :yes

mummy2boys
12-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Thank you for all the gluten free recipes.....DS #2 will love them!

Ajani
12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I've taken that green bean salad recipe idea and I'm making it for a potluck tonight. I've candied some pecans, made a lemony dressing, and am adding bacon along with the Feta and cranberries. Thanks again for sharing!