PDA

View Full Version : DIY Taco Seasoning?

Mommainrwanda
12-14-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm looking for tried and true recipes to season taco meat. I didn't bring any pre-packaged stuff back from the States this year and I'm almost out. I know it should be pretty easy to make, but just don't have a good recipe and don't want to guess every time.

Macky
12-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Subbing. Every scratch taco seasoning I've tried never has the zing that the packages do. I just stopped making them altogether. Tacos/burritos sure are good, though. :)

AngelaVA
12-14-2010, 04:26 AM
I have a good one coming back

Okay here is what I do for taco seasoning mix:
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup oregano
2 T cayenne pepper
1/3 cup garlic powder
3 T salt

mix together in a jar or other container and use 2 T per pound of ground beef or equivalant amount of pinto beans. I mix it in as the meat or beans begin to cook rather than after they cook like the mixes say. The taste is very similar to the mixes but it doesn't turn your meat redish color the way some of the mixes do.

Subbing. Every scratch taco seasoning I've tried never has the zing that the packages do. I just stopped making them altogether. Tacos/burritos sure are good, though. :)

If you want more zing try adding either hot sauce for more spice or a dash of balsamic vinegar (I do this with the pinto beans when I make veg tacos)

Ajani
12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I find that many taco seasoning packets have thickeners in them too. A little cornstarch or flour takes care of that.

BriansLovie
12-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I make my own... so much cheaper! And dont forget, the msg in packaged make it taste better.

MarynMunchkins
12-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I never buy the packages. :shrug I use fresh garlic and onion, paprika, LOTS of cumin, a few chili pepper flakes, and cilantro. I don't even think it needs salt until you add beans. :)

kwisie
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I just dump some chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper into the meat until it smeels and tastes good. :giggle Not much help to you, though, is it? :shifty

Abibigail
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM
I use garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and sometimes salt and pepper, depending on if it needs it. Oh, and I chop up an onion and half of a green pepper in there, too. :)

Kiara.I
12-14-2010, 09:09 AM
We use this:

Taco Seasoning:
Use 2 Tbsp per pound of ground meat (or, of course, use it randomly on anything else, too.)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

I tried it once because we were out, it worked great, and then I realized that the packaged stuff has silicon dioxide in it. Which is glass. :yuck We've never gone back.

If you want more zing (we *don't* because the kids eat it this way...) you can use cayenne instead of chili powder, but you might want to be cautious about the amounts.

swimming with sharks
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
mine is
6 tsps Chili powder
5 tsps cumin
4.5 tsps onion powder
3 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp sugar

RiverRock
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Angela, your recipe looks great! For a bit of colour (and a bit of added flavour) paprika can be added. For a bit of zing, a big squirt of ketchup or squeeze of lemon (my fajita recipe calls for lemon or lime :yum) can be added in addition to the seasoning. I would never have thought of ketchup except a previous babysitter who worked at a local taco franchise told me that they added ketchup and cornstarch to the meat. Now I often do, too.

Stacy
12-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Ooh, thank you! I'm going to try the recipe above (I like to have something concrete to start w/ as well as expirement on my own). :yes We're always using the store bought versions as well and I'd love to give my own a try.

Mommainrwanda
12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the ideas. :D

Oregano....who woulda thought...

Rabbit
12-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the ideas. :D

Oregano....who woulda thought...

I know, right! My husband made my bean burritos a whole new level of awesome, and when I asked, said all he did was add oregano and a teeny dash of cayenne. I -never- would have thought to add oregano to Mexican.

Ajani
12-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Apparently oregano is somewhat similar in flavour to epazote, which is a Mexican herb. Not the same, but as close as us northerners can get. So that's why it works.

kwisie
12-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Oh, yes, I do sometimes add oregano, too. :yes I'd forgotten to put that.