PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Help! Mashed potatoes too salty

ncsweetpea
12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I oversalted my mashed potatoes. How can I salvage them in the next 15 minutes?

April G
12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Add more potatoes? :think

Marrae
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I have read that you can add some plain yogurt to taste.

allisonintx
12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
IIRC, seems my grandmother said that you can peel a raw potato and put it in the mix to draw the salt. I'm going to google about it.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

:doh that advice apparently only works if the dish isn't potato to start with.

A couple of solutions I found were to add boxed mashed potato flakes that have been reconstituted to make the batch bigger thus redistributing the salt.

or

Make a second batch :duck

poleidopy
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
did you save them? I added too much salt to some chili yesterday. I was bummed, but added a can of spaghetti sauce & it was fine. I don't think that would work for potatoes though. :wink

MaiMama
12-13-2010, 04:44 PM
We always put in some sugar. I don't know if that would help you or not. We also use tons of butter and cream or milk, so I'd add more of that as well. How did it go?

ncsweetpea
12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I quickly peeled and softened another large potato in water in the microwave and added it to the mixer while whipping the remainder... They were okay that way, but were served with a caveat, "taste first!".

I oversalted because I forgot I added salt to the cooking water. I never do that. I don't know why I did tonight...could it be I was cooking kinda distracted like??? :no

I think adding a raw potato works great in beans, greens, etc.

Thanks for the help!