PDA

View Full Version : Gardening in NOT your own home

Castle On A Cloud
12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Meaning... that we live in an apartment, and can not do any gardening whatsover:-/ However, my mom lives 15 minutes away, and my IL's live 30 minutes away. I know that both of them would be willing to allow to to garden to *some* degree in their yards... Would this be something that you would be able to make work? Mostly in regards to travelling back and forth often enough (no idea how much effort really goes into gardening, tbh...)

Psyche
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, it can be done. Particularly if you do something low maintenance like square foot gardening. Do you have a patio or balcony in your apt? You could always do container gardening. My friend who lived in an apt, did a topsy turvey tomato plant and somethings in pots on her balcony.

itzj
12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I think you could depending on what you plant and if your family is willing to harvest if you can't get there. We weren't the best at weeding and ended up with some bugs and there was a storm or two that broke a few tomatoes because I fell behind in trying. Once stuff started producing well we were picking a lot every day so if you are willing to drive daily or near that, go for it. Or strike a deal with your family. If they are willing to pick or water on the days you don't come then they get a certain percentage of the harvest.

Castle On A Cloud
12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
We do have a nice BIG porch, but it gets no sunlight

tinybutterfly
12-10-2010, 05:59 AM
You could do a container garden where you live or do a small, easy to care for garden at your family's place.

There are some great books about container gardening ( I don't know the titles of any off-hand) and there is a fun book called The Five Minute Gardener about making gardening not so time intensive.

Have fun and good luck!