PDA

View Full Version : Meet Hershey!

BHope
12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
We have a new family member. :grin Hershey a nine month old Brittany.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1200.snc4/155269_10150323121745573_536935572_15981723_366024 6_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1237.snc4/156953_10150323121285573_536935572_15981714_582871 5_n.jpg

I've been watching the pounds in our area as well as stalking petfinder hoping to find a younger Brittany for our home. I ended up finding Hershey through an online ad. The family who had adopted him got him for their stepson who is with them every other weekend. They added him to a house that already had several goats, a Bulldog and a Lab. The Lab and the Bulldog never did take to him and the owners made the decision to re-home Hershey.

Hershey came with papers for his pedigree, and a history of care. Looking at the information we've been given, it's clear that the home that adopted Hershey (they had him three months) never did any of his upkeep. No heart-worm meds, no follow up vaccines, no vet visits. :( He literally has a three month gap in his care.

I will admit that it makes me nervous that his owners neglected his care as much as they did. I have an appointment tomorrow with our Vet. I'm hoping that he checks out fine.

When I was emailing the owners about Hershey I was told that he knew his commands. I will say that he's done well going outside. (No accidents! :tu) BUT if this dog has been given any formal obedience training I'll be eat my hat. He jumps up (and at this size, that means his paws reach my shoulders), he doesn't come, he doesn't know "sit" or "down" and our walk this morning was horrifying! :no :giggle

Every dog I've had the privileged of owning I've had since early puppy-hood (with the exception of one small pug mix) and by this size (30-40 lbs) my dogs know come, sit, down, and can be walked happily and comfortably. This will be my first time working with this size of a dog, who doesn't have any of those skills.

Having said all that, I can tell, that Hershey is a smart dog. He's picked up on the house rhythm really easily. He's social and loving. :heart In fact, as I type this he's sitting at my feet, curled up on his blankie.

blessedwithboys
12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
He's adorable! I wouldn't worry about him not seeing a vet for 3 months. I actually wouldn't consider it a real gap in care.

They may have been giving him Heartguard (or another heartworm preventative), unless they said they weren't. Puppies under 6 months old aren't tested for heartworm. They are assumed clear because of the way a heartworm's life cycle works. Even if they weren't giving him Heartguard, at 9 months, I'd just test him when you take him in and not be too concerned.

As far as follow up vaccinations, he probably didn't miss any. Puppies get vaccinated (typically) at 5,6,9,12, and 15 weeks, then not again until adulthood. So, he wouldn't have missed any of those with the previous owners.

How exciting for your family!!! It's so awesome that he's fitting right in! :heart

BHope
12-02-2010, 07:25 PM
That's good to know about the vaccines. I figured that probably the vaccines would not be due yet. I do know that he hasn't been on any heartguard. I asked. :) She said she never got around to it. :doh

Amber
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
He's adorable :heart

BHope
12-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Okay, I have a question. I know this is Hershey's second day here, and likely he's settling down and his body is adjusting to his new life. But PHEW! This guy has thee smelliest farts ever. They're literally the kind that kick you out of the room. http://emoticons4u.com/obscene/eck09.gif We've kept him on the food he was eating at his previous home (Beneful's Original (http://www.beneful.com/dog-food/default.aspx))...

Advice? Wait it out and see if it settles down?

klpmommy
12-03-2010, 07:50 AM
How fun! He's adorable. :heart :heart

Oh, Snickers has the worst gas imaginable and she eats the same food as Trevor. :shrug

blessedwithboys
12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I'd just change him. Honestly, Beneful is pretty junky food. However, that said, the food that agrees best with my dog is Iams Lamb and Rice, which isn't the very most top of the line ingredient wise (top of the line tends to be too rich for both her and my recently deceased dog- producing majorly smelly gas).

This article is a really good one on how to choose dog foods. It's long, but very easy to understand. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html The author is a very reputable Labrador breeder.

OneLove
12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
He's so cute! Good luck with the training. I hope everything checks out at the Vet.

MamaCare
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Gorgeous!

hopeforchange
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
aww! :heart :heart

believer
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
He is very cute! You might try a good lamb and rice dog food - eagle pack is great - for a short time to see if that helps with the gas. The Eagle Pack brand seems to help with some dogs, but it is expensive. If it does help, then you can move to less expensive lamb and rice dog foods. We now use the one from Costco.

Lady Grey
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Cutie pie! :heart

You can try a spoonful of plain fat free yogurt on his food to help with the gas. I used that with success when I had my dog. I would also gradually change him to a healthier food.