PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook broccoli without a microwave?

klpmommy
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
:blush

We've been without a microwave for a while. I only like broccoli steamed and still crisp. In a micro it is 3 min with a little water.

Aerynne
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
You can cook it in a pot with a little water.

saturnfire16
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
The yummiest way I've found to cook broccoli is to saute it in a little olive oil and sprinkle on some salt. Cook it just long enough to be tender, but it's not mushy like if you boil it.

SamRose
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
The only way I cook fresh broccoli in the steamer; smaller chunks for 15 mins, big chunks for a few mins more. (and Im pretty sure using a steamer basket in a pot is the same thing)
My kids like it soft, though. Im betting 10 mins would be plenty if U like it more firm.

DoulaClara
12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I McGuyver a steamer with a metal colander, a lid from a pan that just about covers the colander, and a pan that can hold the colander without the bottom touching the bottom of the pan. I cut the broccoli into uniform, small florets, get about a cup-cup and a half of salted water boiling in the pan, and place the colander full of the broccoli into the pan and put the lid on it. It usually takes about five minutes, but I think it depends on the size of the broccoli pieces. I steam it until it's brilliantly green (and taste-test it if necessary) and then it's done!

The Tickle Momster
12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
yep, steam in a pan on the stove. Definitely use a steamer, not directly in the water.

Ellen
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Probably less than ten minutes if you like it still crisp. That's how I like it too. I don't know how long it takes--I just put it in the steamer basket and check until I'm happy with it.

MudPies
12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
roasted w garlic and evoo until it starts to brown- its still crispy:yes

klpmommy
12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Alright, I'm trying to steam it on my stovetop right now. I've really missed eating broccoli.

TrinMama
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
roasted w garlic and evoo until it starts to brown- its still crispy:yes

This is our favorite way, too. Two of our 4 kids will eat it, even. Otherwise, not one of them touches it. :giggle

Alright, I'm trying to steam it on my stovetop right now. I've really missed eating broccoli.

How'd it turn out?

klpmommy
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I think I let it go a bit too long, it's mushier than I like it, but better than boiled or frozen. :yes

Waterlogged
12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Alton Brown (from the Food Network) suggests steaming it, but instead of using a steamer, putting the stalks directly in the water and the crowns on top of the stalks. Then the stalks cook directly and the crowns get steamed.

Castle On A Cloud
12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, we steam it on the stovetop, or in the rice cooker:yes I will have to try the evoo way...