PDA

View Full Version : Making almond milk

BriansLovie
11-30-2010, 08:23 AM
First, how do you store your raw almonds in waiting to make the milk? Freezer? Do you use a special nut bag to drain the milk? What do you sweeten it with? Also, DS loves chocolate almond milk, can I just add a bit of cocoa to it?

Hermana Linda
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't have a clue so I'll :bump this for you. :heart

Serafine
12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
freezer.
I don't sweeten it.
I use cheesecloth to strain (I haven't been able to find a nutmilk bag).

I save the pulp in the freezer and add it to smoothies, indian food, cookies, etc.

Hermana Linda
12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I can't think of any reason not to add a little cocoa, except that then you'd need a sweetener. :think I would use brown sugar. Not that I've ever made nut milk. :O I tried to make rice milk and it was a dismal failure so I might not be the best person to advise. :o

Serafine
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh...and make sure you soak the almonds for 24 hours first...you don't HAVE to, but it works way better if you do.

You can use anything to sweeten - honey or maple syrup would be my first picks.

mellifera
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
In a pinch I have strained almond milk through a metal strainer. It is kind of a pain to clean and the milk is not as smooth, but if I am out of cheesecloth it will do. :).

Iarwain
12-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I don't make it often but when I do I strain through a muslin bag if I have one handy or through a clean hanky, piece of old sheet or any other handy and non-linty fabric. I do have to really squeeze it to get as much liquid out as possible. I don't sweeten it but do add just the tiniest pinch of salt. If you add cocoa you'll definitely want to sweeten it. Stevia would do the trick if you want to avoid sugar.

BriansLovie
12-03-2010, 06:05 AM
freezer.
I don't sweeten it.
I use cheesecloth to strain (I haven't been able to find a nutmilk bag).

I save the pulp in the freezer and add it to smoothies, indian food, cookies, etc.

I was able to find one at www.purejoyplanet.com (http://www.purejoyplanet.com)