PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a breadmaker!

MaybeGracie
11-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I mentioned to my mom recently that I'd been thinking about getting a breadmaker because I just haven't been finding the time (or energy :shifty) to make it by hand. More often than not we've just not had bread in the house because we don't buy it from the store anymore. She offered to buy us one as a Christmas gift. :) She said to pick one and let her know.

I've looked at the ones on the Sears (Canada) website and they all seem to have bad reviews. I'm considering suggesting the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002XVUAOU/ref=pd_luc_mri?ie=UTF8&m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB), which is currently on sale on Amazon for the same price as the mini version, and offering to pay the difference.

Is it worth it to get a Zojirushi? Does anyone else have a breadmaker they really recommend? I would be using it mostly for whole wheat bread, as well as dough for pizza, etc.

MaybeGracie
11-26-2010, 10:08 AM
:bump for the morning crowd. :yawn

MaybeGracie
11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
:cup

Buela
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM
i've had a black & decker one for 8 years now with no problems. i use it 2-3 times per week now but much less frequently before. it is called the Black & Decker all in one deluxe horizontal breadmaker but it doesnt look like the one sears is selling now.

bananacake
11-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I suggested my dad get a Zojirushi after seeing it recommended here. He got it & loves it.

jmom1984
08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm just now reading this, considering buying a breadmaker. SO I'm curious, did you end up getting the Zojirushi, and do you like it after using it? Thanks! Iposted my own question in a thread and someone else said that same name.

MaybeGracie
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I did get the Zojirushi, the full-sized one, and I was disappointed. It seems to be highly recommended here but half my loaf is gone each time because of the two mixing blades (instead of just one with a vertical bread maker), and it doesn't seem to make very good loaves so far. I'm still trying to get a recipe that rises properly; in the meantime, we've been eating a lot of dense bread. The pizza crust I made with it was good though, and hopefully I'll soon figure out how to get good bread from it too.

To be honest, I wish I'd just kept making it by hand. I used to get four loaves of bread at a time, now it's just one dense loaf. We buy bread from the store more often now than we did back when I was making it by hand.

jmom1984
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I asked on facebook too and got the same reactions, everyone seemed think it was always better made by hand and they didn't really like bread machine bread. Sounds like I should save my money and find some good recipes. Thanks!

OnlyBelieve
08-04-2011, 01:40 AM
I bought a Zojirushi 12 or so years ago and I love it. Things might have changed over the years though.

bananacake
08-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I made GF bread in it today, and I am in love! But I never make bread by hand.

TuneMyHeart
08-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I have a zoji and really love it. BUT, I only use it to mix the dough. I use the 45 minute dough cycle, take the dough out and separate it into two smaller loaves, let it rise in bread pans, then bake it in the oven. It's so good. :)

MaybeGracie
08-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a zoji and really love it. BUT, I only use it to mix the dough. I use the 45 minute dough cycle, take the dough out and separate it into two smaller loaves, let it rise in bread pans, then bake it in the oven. It's so good. :)

I think this is what I am going to start doing. It still seems a bit silly but I guess it probably saves a bit of time in the end.