PDA

View Full Version : Dying a shirt to cover a stain

PDX Mommy
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a white sweater that I love, but I wore it to take Evan to the LC when he was a baby and they used silver nitrate on his belly button. So, now I have this lovely blackish brown stain on my sweater. I still love the sweater and I'd like to try to dye it. Any pointers on how to do this so that it adequately covers the stain? Should I try to bleach out the stain first and then dye the sweater?

rosesnsnails
11-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't bleach it because when you dye it, it won't dye evenly. I haven't had any luck with dyeing something to cover a stain. Where is the stain? Can you put an embellishment over it? If not, I would try to dye it about the same color as the stain.

PDX Mommy
11-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I was worried about that, too! It's right on my tummy, so not an ideal place of an embellishment. Plus, it's a cable knit sweater and I think an embellishment would look a bit out of place on it. :pout I love that sweater and I SO want to save it!

Quiteria
11-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Unless it's cotton or wool, it won't dye. :hugheart

You could try bleach to even it out, make it easier to blend in, followed by a LOT of rinsing/washing to be sure there's no bleach residue to ruin the dye job. But essentially the only thing that going to cover black is black. A lot of black. Several packets of dye, very concentrated in the water, left a long time, as dark as you can get it. And even then you might be able to see some unevenness.

PDX Mommy
11-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Unless it's cotton or wool, it won't dye. :hugheart

You could try bleach to even it out, make it easier to blend in, followed by a LOT of rinsing/washing to be sure there's no bleach residue to ruin the dye job. But essentially the only thing that going to cover black is black. A lot of black. Several packets of dye, very concentrated in the water, left a long time, as dark as you can get it. And even then you might be able to see some unevenness.

It is a cotton sweater. Thanks for the advice!