PDA

View Full Version : The Needles are calling to me...Update--now help me buy some more!

StumblinMama
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Update :giggle I think I'm ready to buy a set of needles, now. Whatever I get is going to have to be cheap for the time being :bag Educate me on needle length. How do I know which length to buy if I were going to get a set of needles?
----------------------------
Okay. So, I'm a crocheter...a very, very, right-brained crocheter. I'm not mathematical, and not coordinated at.all. I can handle my one little crochet hook just fine. When I've attempted knitting in the past, I get all discombobulated when trying to deal with the 2 needles :crazy

Alas :sigh My mom bought me a wonderful basket full of yarn at a yard sale a few weeks ago, and of course there is a set of knitting needles inside. So, what's a girl to do? I'm gonna try again. You knitting mamas had better be prepared to hold my hand through this. I really, really want to learn :yes :heart :pray4 :lol

SilverMoon
11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I am a crocheter, and dabble with knitting maybe once a year. What I've found really helped me was to learn to knit Continental style. That way I hold the yarn in the same hand as when I crochet, and the hand that usually does all the hook work in crochet also does most of the work when I knit. It has given me hope that one day, when I'm bored with crochet and there aren't any more cute crochet projects to make, I will be an excellent knitter.

StumblinMama
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
:ty2 See, the last time I tried this, that's what I did. I got the hang of knit stitches, but the purling is what drove me up the wall. I had thought of trying English this time, but I may go back to Continental :think

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Ok, so I've got my first question:giggle. I've managed to cast on, and I'm knitting. YAY! I am doing this continental style. I'm having some tension issues, I think. For lack of a better way to explain, there is too much space between the needles when I finish a knit stich. I'm using this (http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=102) tutorial, and my stitches look right, but there's probably twice as much yarn between the needles on mine as she has on hers once the stitch is finished. How do I fix that?

Kiara.I
11-24-2010, 12:05 PM
If you're still on your first row, don't worry about it. You can't really tell until farther in.

Secondly, how do you fix it? Practice. :) Sorry, but it's true. I bet when you first started crocheting, you had lumpy stitches and uneven ones. As you improved, they evened out until they were even and tidy. Same with knitting. As your hand muscles learn what to do (without your brain telling them every little part of it) your stitches will even up.

backtobasicsmum
11-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I LOVE the knitting videos at www.knittinghelp.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com) I taught myself how to knit. She shows all different kind of stitches, English or Continental, different kind of cast ons, etc.

StumblinMama
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
:bump Added a new question in the OP

Kiara.I
12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
What are you wanting to make?

Personally I'd get a set of circular needles (needles with the cable between them) because that way it matters much less how long they are. But they come in different lengths too, so it really does depend on what you're making.

StumblinMama
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, see I have only the one pair that came with this basket of yarn (I crochet, so it was purchased for the yarn and the needles were included ;) ) I'd like to just get an all purpose set if there is such a thing. That way I could make whatever I wanted. I'll probably be making things like scarves and patchwork squares for blankets, I may attempt a hat :shrug Crochet hooks aren't so varied in length like knitting needles, so I'm confused :help

Kiara.I
12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Nickel_Plated_Circular_Kni tting_Needle_Set__D90335.html

I know it looks expensive, but it really is an all-purpose set. :) You can make most things with those sizes. If you want to venture into socks you'd probably need some smaller widths. But those will do you for hats, most sweaters, blankets, scarves...