PDA

View Full Version : Tried some Ghee - not sure I like it

AngelaVA
11-22-2010, 08:06 AM
We are casein free but I've read the Ghee is casein free and good for buttery flavor. I was going to try it on mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving because that is one thing I find really boring casein free. Anyway, I tried a tiny bit on some toast and the flavor is so overwhelmingly strong! It was just too much for me. Now I'm sort of nervous about trying it with the potatoes. If I just do a tiny bit in a large thing of potatoes do you think it will dillute the flavor enough to where it will be buttery but not so overwhelming? I paid about $5 for it so I don't want to waste it :-/

Learnin'2B
11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Sweet Stuff is dairy free so I use it for her. I don't cook with it though. I don't like the taste. :snooty I use a shortening/buttery spread stuff that I get at Whole Foods for things that call for butter: rice, scrambled eggs...I might use it for mashed potatoes, but either way we'd all add our own butter on our plates.

here are the sticks I use:
http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/vegan-sticks/

~yogamom~
11-22-2010, 09:40 AM
i have been considering using some ghee too sometimes, b/c it's healthier than the earth balance spread (which is yummy). but it is a rather strong taste. maybe use it for indian food if nothing else?

AngelaVA
11-22-2010, 10:03 AM
We are soy free too, that's why I don't use Earth Balance or any of that.

chasingbutterflies
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
doesn't Earth Balance have a soy free spread now? yeah, they do: http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/soy-free/

I'd try that...I bet it won't be as strong. :)

~yogamom~
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
We are soy free too, that's why I don't use Earth Balance or any of that.

we are also soy-free for spreads and dairy subs (i cook with tamari in some things)-- we use soy-free earth balance and the taste is delicious in all baked goods and cooking. my kids love it. not enough "healthy" fats for my liking, but it works GREAT as a butter substitute.