PDA

View Full Version : fondant help

raining_kisses
11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
im not trying to cover the whole cake, just use it like playdoh to make little things to top my cake.

what tools do i NEED. recipes? marshmellow really the way to go? tips? THANKS!!

Hermana Linda
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Have you checked out AllRecipies (http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=fondant)?

RealLifeMama
11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
As far as tools, you just need a rolling pin and cutters really.
Marshmallow fondant is fun and tasty. I like it to work with because if I mess up, I can just ball it up again and stick it in the microwave to get it soft again. Storebought fondant does not microwave well and will just get cracky.

a tip- if you are not covering the entire cake, make the MMF in a small batch recipe and tint the melted marshmallows. That is so much quicker and easier than trying to split up the large batch of white fondant and knead the colors in. Do you have a small batch recipe, of just one that uses the whole bag?

raining_kisses
11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
i have no recipe.

:popcorn

lol, but i am going to check out lindas link. thanks linda!!

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

if you are not covering the entire cake, make the MMF in a small batch recipe and tint the melted marshmallows. That is so much quicker and easier than trying to split up the large batch of white fondant and knead the colors ini have no idea what this part really means. i hope it makes more sense as i actually get into it. thanks for the tips..

Hermana Linda
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
No problem. I know nothing about fondant but I do know that AllRecipes can be very helpful. :yes I gave you a search so it's really lots of links. See if they have a tutorial. :think They have one for pie crusts which I did find helpful. :yes

RealLifeMama
11-18-2010, 09:54 PM
i have no recipe.

i have no idea what this part really means. i hope it makes more sense as i actually get into it. thanks for the tips..

Here is a recipe for a small batch

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows, packed
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just long enough for them to puff up and get soft. Remove and stir with a shortening covered spoon until combined well. it should look soupy. If you are tinting, do it at this point. Then add the 1 1/2 c sugar and mix it in until it is no longer sticky. if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that works really well to knead it. If not, knead it with your hands on the counter until it is nice and smooth. (about 5 minutes)

raining_kisses
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Here is a recipe for a small batch

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows, packed
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just long enouch for them to puff up and get soft. Remove and stir with a shortening covered spoon until combined well. it should look soupy. If you are tinting, do it at this point. Then add the 1 1/2 c sugar and mix it in until it is no longer sticky. and mix in until it is no longer sticky. if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that works really well to knead it. If not, knead it with your hands on the counter until it is nice and smooth. (about 5 minutes)

you speak my language. short and simple. thanks. i am going to follow this. you are all so helpful. thank you ladies.

anyone curiose about my cake???

Hermana Linda
11-18-2010, 10:25 PM
We can't wait to see the pics. :poke

backtobasicsmum
11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I LOVE the directions from here:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

If you want a smaller batch, just halve it. :yes

So, is this for ds's upcoming birthday??

Iveyrock
11-19-2010, 03:53 AM
you speak my language. short and simple. thanks. i am going to follow this. you are all so helpful. thank you ladies.

anyone curiose about my cake???

me! mememe!

raining_kisses
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
yes. its a gnome cake for ds's first birthday. woodland/gnome themed. im making fondont toadstools and possibly some other stuff. we will see how good we are tonight. we bought all the stuff to try it. im excited. thanks for all the tips!!

i will take pictures of matt and i's efforts.

raining_kisses
11-19-2010, 07:42 PM
its mixing in the mixer right now with dh standing gaurd. we dont think we did it right but maybe here in a second some magic alchemy will happen and it will look like fondont.:scratch

ok now its done and.....Its Actually Fodont. super cool. dh is messing around with some cute little mushrooms now. and we couldnt get it red. its hot pink. how much dye do you have to put in for true red???

riskay but kinda funny
you have to be careful with mushrooms, it can quickly cross over into looking like something else:shifty i dont wnat to make a adult themed looking cake:giggle

backtobasicsmum
11-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I think to get a true red, you'll probably need food gel, not liquid.

And I can totally see how mushrooms could look not so mushroom like veeeery easily. I'm pretty sure that has been done many times on Cakewrecks! :giggle

I'm so excited to see your work! :heart

mamaKristin
11-19-2010, 09:34 PM
ooh, putting the coloring in with the marshmallows is a GREAT idea :tu

Says the woman who dyed her hands *purple* with dark green gel coloring. Go figure.

raining_kisses
11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a411/texas_cate101/november026.jpg

ignore the white dots being so weird. we didnt save any fondont back. we dyed it all pink. the white dots are slices of marshmellow. i bought some better food coloring at hobby lobby. i looked on the box of the dye i bought and it says pink.:doh so the more we added the hotter pink it became. :giggle we are going to try again.

btw, i cant take the credit for these. dh did them.

backtobasicsmum
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Good job to your dh! Yes, very, very pink though. I'm sure having red dye will help tremendously! :giggle

raining_kisses
11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
yeah they look pretty angry :shifty

RealLifeMama
11-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Red is so hard. I usually have to use about half a small pot of gel color to get it red.

Don't worry, those totally look like mushrooms, nothing else. :tu Good job, this is going to be so cute!