PDA

View Full Version : Beginner yarn?

hey mommy
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I have decided to take up crotcheting again. I pulled it out today and remembered how much i like it.

But, the yarn my mom has isn't very good. It's the Red heart or something like that. some cheap stuff from walmart, I think. It's rather hard to use.

Is there anything easy to use for beginners?

SilverMoon
11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I like the I Love This Yarn! brand from Hobby Lobby better than Red Heart. It's 100% acrylic, just like RH, but so much softer.

GlobalMama
11-15-2010, 06:02 AM
I can give you suggestions of what NOT to use. Haha.

Caron simply soft is super soft and people who don't crochet often buy it for that reason. But, it's spun super loosely, so your hook gets caught quickly. Red Heart SuperSoft is a better soft yarn.

I like organics, cotton especially, so I'm really no help. You'll want a worsted weight yarn and using a hook somewhere between 4.25 and 5.00 mm is a good start, depending on what you want to make.

Any ideas on what you want to make? I can suggest different yarns for different things and yes, Supersaver is super itchy and hard to work with.

hey mommy
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
ACK! I just bought some Caron.. Guess I'll take it back. :lol

i was thinking of just trying to make some scarves. Quick and easy.

StumblinMama
11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I second the suggestion for Hobby Lobby brands :yes The Yarn Bee yarn they sell is really nice IMO. The wool blend is so soft on your hands.

hey mommy
11-15-2010, 09:01 AM
We don't have a Hobby Lobby anywhere near us.. Guess I could look online.

StumblinMama
11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
:yes They have a 40% off coupon on the web right now.

GlobalMama
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
oh it's ok if you bought caron! Just use a bigger hook. Less chance that you'll poke through the threads. I love Caron, but find it hard to work with when you use anything smaller than 5.00 mm really. Good luck!