PDA

View Full Version : Best hot chocolate mix recipes, please...

ncsweetpea
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
'Tis the season...

And Swiss Miss just won't do.
Please share your hot cocoa recipes.
Happy Holidays to you!

Can'tTurnLeft
11-09-2010, 07:59 PM
One dark chocolate hershey bar, one cup half and half. Melt together and add milk to taste.

Go to williams sonoma and spend half your food budget on their hot chocolate mix.

mountainash
11-09-2010, 09:43 PM
The best hot cocoa I've ever had was made with goats milk. :yum

summertimeshine
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
:cup Yum!

Blue Savannah
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
subbing

graceandmercy
11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
subbing

subbing too! Hopefully some non dairy ones will be suggested too! ;)

Codi
11-10-2010, 01:02 AM
:cup <----- Don't mind if I do. :giggle

swimming with sharks
11-10-2010, 04:55 AM
I've got Marielle's recipe for cocoa blocks. You need to do it in advance, but :yum oh baby!! They're so fabulous, and they work as a chocolate fix if the need arises. :yes:rockon and with a new baby on the way (I'm sure the need will arise!)

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14oz
3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (or you can use bars)
3/4 cup unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 hefty pinches of kosher salt

unsweetened cocoa powder

First prep the pan, you'll need an 8x8" pan. I line mine with foil that I then butter and the easiest way I've found to mold foil for a pan is to use the pan as the mold. Just flip the pan over upside down.
Smush a sheet of foil over the pan molding it over the corners.
Remove the foil, flip the pan over and insert your molded foil. Smush the corners to fit then butter heavily.
In a medium sauce pan mix your condensed milk and heavy cream. Heat over low heat until the mixture is steaming but not boiling. Once the milk mixture is heated, remove from the burner and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. The chocolate will begin to melt.
Give it a stir and if there are unmelted pieces of chocolate place over low heat and stir to finish melting. At first it will look separated . But after melting completely it will look like this delicious pot of chocolate. Now is the time to flavor.
My flavorings of choice. Homemade vanilla and kosher salt since I've never had hot cocoa without salt to add balance to the sweetness. Stir it in.
Spread the mixture into your buttered pan. Set it aside and let it set overnight. Once set the mixture will have a matte surface and be firm yet easy to slice
Lift the square of chocolate out of the pan using the foil and then cut into 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" blocks with a knife dipped in hot water between cuts.
Now prep some cocoa powder in a bowl and your sticks if you wish to use them. Skewer a block onto a stick and then dip in the cocoa powder. I highly suggest you try one of these alone. It tastes like a truly decadent truffle.
I tucked mine into a zip top bag and store them in the fridge which should keep them for about a month. For longer storage you'll need to freeze them.
Now, for their true purpose. Think of these as hot cocoa bouillon cubes. Pour yourself a cup (8oz) of milk per cube. For one serving an individual mug and the microwave works fine. For more I'd do it in a saucepan on the stovetop.

Plop in a cube of chocolate. Then nuke until the milk is screaming hot which will melt the chocolate. You'll want to stir it at least once and then nuke some more if it hasn't finished melting. Creamy, already sweetened hot chocolate.

knitlove
11-10-2010, 05:56 AM
my mom was telling me that Alton Brown did a Good Eats on hot chocolate but I haven't had time to look it up.

ilikestrawberryjello
11-10-2010, 06:03 AM
my mom was telling me that Alton Brown did a Good Eats on hot chocolate but I haven't had time to look it up.

I :heart Alton Brown!! I DVR Good Eats...I am a total dork..but I can't cook and he helps me out a LOT!!

I'm excited to read more hot chocolate recipes! Erin's sounds good...how much does that make?

J3K
11-10-2010, 06:29 AM
One York's Peppermint Patty in the bottom of a cup.
One cup of hot milk (or mixed with half and half) added to the cup.
Stir with cinnamon stick.
Drink in private where no one can beg for a sip.
Wash cup immediately to hide the evidence.
Check mirror to make sure evidence is off your face and teeth too.

ncsweetpea
11-10-2010, 06:37 AM
This is the one I have been using for a couple of years for an "everyday" cocoa mix. It is pretty good...has the ease of the powder mixes and a nice depth of flavor. It makes a big batch!

Stage-Stop Hot Chocolate Mix presented by Texas Stagecoach Inn Bed & Breakfast

8 oz. container of non-fat dry milk
3 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
1 16oz. container of Nestle's Instant Chocolate Milk
1 6oz container of Creamora (or any non-dairy creamer)
Large box of instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup of miniature marshmallows
1 cup of miniature chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
Mix 3 tablespoons of per cup of hot milk or water.
Serves winter company.

GlacierLily
11-28-2010, 05:23 PM
:cup :shifty

knitlove
11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
here is his recipe http://www. foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hot-cocoa-recipe/index.html

raining_kisses
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
i melted a hershey bar in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. i wisked in milk. in my cup i added the small marshmellows. you HAVE to have m'mellows in hot chocolate.:snooty i love when they kinda melt into it. mmmm....

LadybugSam
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=231629

best ever :yum

BriansLovie
11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
:popcorn

ncsweetpea
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Sara--thanks! I'm adding the ingredients to my grocery list right now! It sounds sort of like what I use when I want a one cup fix! ;0)

ncsweetpea
12-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Sara-I made this recipe this morning. Good flavor, but weird texture. Like RealLifeMama said, the milk was chunky like and didn't melt in boiling water. I wonder if I put it through the food processor if it would help?

When I get brave, I am going to try Marielle's chocolate cube thingys.

Mama Calidad
12-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Abuelita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuelita

ncsweetpea
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Abuelita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuelita

Laura...we love Abuelita!!!! It is always served with wintertime Mexican dinners. Do you like the tabs or packets best?

The recipe I made this morning called for a dash of cinnamon. My heavy handed sous chef put in too much cinnamon and it reminded me very much of Abuelita.

Mama Calidad
12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Laura...we love Abuelita!!!! It is always served with wintertime Mexican dinners. Do you like the tabs or packets best?

The recipe I made this morning called for a dash of cinnamon. My heavy handed sous chef put in too much cinnamon and it reminded me very much of Abuelita.

I can sometimes find a syrup version and that's my hands-down fav because it mixes so nicely. But I'll take any of them. :shifty :giggle :heart