PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday Crockpot Chicken

Hermana Linda
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Before leaving for church I peal and cut up a few potatoes and put them in the crock pot. I cover them with pieces of marinated chicken. Since I have 2 teenage boys, I cram in as much as I can fit. If the chicken was not marinated, I add some sauce and/or seasonings. I set the crock pot to High since it's only a few hours.

If I don't have enough left over rice, I put rice in the rice cooker and off to church. When we come home, the house smells great and lunch is ready. :tu

I marinate my chicken in some combination of:
ketchup
mustard
Worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
taco seasoning
garlic powder
Bullion or seasoned salt

I vary the combinations to keep life interesting. ;) Of course, you are welcome to use anything. Salsa works well, as does spaghetti sauce. Also Italian dressing or anything else which tastes good. Get creative. I used to use Onion Soup mix, until I found out about hydrogenated veg oils. :pout

ilikestrawberryjello
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks so much for posting this! We have started attending a later service and I have been having a "sunday lunch scramble!" I'll definatly try this!!

Hermana Linda
10-28-2010, 04:46 PM
If you are going to be gone for 3 hours and the pieces of chicken are not thick, you could get away with using frozen. :yes I prefer not to. I forgot to mention that I do use High. I'll edit. :think

ncsweetpea
10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Are these bone-in chicken pieces or boneless skinless breasts?

Hermana Linda
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They are thin, having been boned. I think if you are cooking bone-in chicken, it would still work. I have Sunday School and then the service plus talking. We are gone for at least 3 and a half hours, if not 4. If you are not gone for long enough, bone-in might not work. Probably not if it's frozen. :think

bananacake
10-28-2010, 05:54 PM
You can also cook a whole 5-ish lb chicken on high for 3-4 hours if your crock is hot enough. So good! I use this (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-rotisserie-style-chicken.html) recipe, but I do not skin the chicken. Definitely comes out better when you don't use factory-farmed chicken, but it's good either way :)

Hermana Linda
10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
:ty So, putting bone-in thighs over cut up potatoes will likely be fine. :yes

codegirl
03-17-2011, 07:23 PM
good idea, sounds yum!

WanderingJuniper
03-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Do you add any liquid at all? Or is it just the potatos and marinated chicken?

Hermana Linda
03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I do not add liquid. :no My chicken is skinned but not defatted, that might affect the quantity of juices it puts out. If the thighs are totally defatted, they might not output enough juice, I really can't say. :think