PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress Glitch?

Hermana Linda
10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Today I published a blog post which I had started on Saturday, Oct 23. Usually the draft date is when I started it, but once I publish, it changes to the date on which I published. But today, that did not happen. It published with Saturday's date. :huhn I didn't notice right away and when I did, I didn't want to change the link as people have started sharing it. :doh

I wonder what I can do to make sure that this does not happen again. :-/ I don't think I did anything wrong or different. That part of the permalink is not editable, but it always updated itself when I published until today. :shrug

I guess all I can do is to check it before I start sharing. :think But is that a glitch or what? :scratch

StumblinMama
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
:think I don't remember that ever happening to us, but I don't pay that much attention to the date :blush

Hermana Linda
10-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't usually, but I just happened to be looking at my stats of popular pages and thinking about how old each post was and noticed that I had 2 from Oct 23. :doh Weird.

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Ok, for today's post I checked and sure enough, it keeps the date on which I started the draft. :doh I changed it right away so the only problem might be for those with RSS feeds who will probably get 2 links, the first not working. :think

I can change the date before I publish, I guess. It's just odd. It did not use to do that. :shrug

andrea_r
10-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Yep, the scheduled posts has been buggy lately. If you look at the wp.org forums (say hi when you see me) you'll see quite a few threads about it.

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Yep, the scheduled posts has been buggy lately. If you look at the wp.org forums (say hi when you see me) you'll see quite a few threads about it.
:ty So, I should just sit tight and it will be fixed in a future update? :think

andrea_r
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I was looking at similar issues which were missed scheduled posts, and they were all server related.

I can't remember seeing an tickets with this as a bug (if it is one). Hard to fix is the devs can't track it down or reproduce it. ;)

plugins could interfere though.

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I haven't added any new plugins, but I have updated some not that long ago. :think

I didn't see an option to publish now or immediately and will have to check the time and update it manually when publishing if it's an old draft. :think

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I found the forum, I guess I'd have to register. :O Which forum would I check? :think

Happygrl
10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
To prevent the issue of not being able to edit the publish date in the future, you could change how your permalinks are 'named'. Right now you have year/month/date/post title. You could that down to year/month or even just post title.

That's an easy change...I forget exactly where it is under the settings menu though I'm sure Andrea or WW could tell you exactly.

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
To prevent the issue of not being able to edit the publish date in the future, you could change how your permalinks are 'named'. Right now you have year/month/date/post title. You could that down to year/month or even just post title.

That's an easy change...I forget exactly where it is under the settings menu though I'm sure Andrea or WW could tell you exactly.
Oh, I can edit them, I just can't see an option to publish "now," so I have to manually input the correct time. If I don't, it publishes with an old date. It used to update the date to be the current date and time, but now it doesn't. :shrug

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

I joined and searched. All the scheduling problems I found were old and closed. They were also about scheduling. :shifty My problem is not really about scheduling. :think So, I posted. :nails

Happygrl
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Oh, I can edit them, I just can't see an option to publish "now," so I have to manually input the correct time. If I don't, it publishes with an old date. It used to update the date to be the current date and time, but now it doesn't. :shrug[COLOR="Silver"]

Oh, sorry. I must have misunderstood. When you posted this:

I didn't notice right away and when I did, I didn't want to change the link as people have started sharing it. :doh

I thought you were referring to how the link "name" would change if you edited/changed the link b/c of the date. So I was trying to think of a way to change that issue in the future. My brain isn't working at full capacity yet today :giggle, so I apologize for misunderstanding. :)

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
:idea Oh, I see. :think Yeah, that would help for future problems. :think Although it probably won't happen again because now I'm all about the date. :lol And I kind of like having the date in the url because then I can just look at the url in my stats and know how old it is. I'm weird like that. :shifty But yeah, now I understand and it makes total sense. :ty

andrea_r
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
When you;re editing a draft, over in the top right, the box with the date & save & preview button should also show.. uh... "uptate" I think it is.

Publish shows if you started it fresh. update is if you're editing a post, even if ti started as a draft. If you change the date to now, it publishes now.

Hermana Linda
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
So, what you're saying is that if I click on Update before clicking on Publish, it should take care of it? :think

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Ok, actually with a draft it gives me Save Draft or Publish. Some of my drafts have Publish Immediately and others have a certain date. :shrug But at least now I know what to look out for. :yes

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

The only difference between the drafts which lost the ability to Publish Now and those which did not was that I used Quick Edit on those which did. :think That must be it. :-/