PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables hidden and not so hidden

cbmk4
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Last night the spaghetti sauce had pumpkin, kale, chard, yellow and green bell peppers added to it. No one was the wiser until I asked them to guess the secret ingredient(s)! Ds liked it so much he had thirds!

Tonight dh looks around the table and wonders where the main entree is. I say, "You're looking at them." Dinner tonight consisted of maple roasted butternut squash, sauteed garlic broccoli, salad greens, and scalloped white and sweet potatoes.

Guess what? Everyone liked dinner again! I just love vegetables and the challenge of getting more into my family's diet also.

LadybugSam
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
:tu

ReedleBeetle
10-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Awesome!

Ajani
10-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Little Mister isn't terribly fond of ground beef, so I make my chili with peeled diced eggplant and zucchini and I toss some bulgur in it to give it some of the texture of meat. Sometimes I add shredded carrot, too. Not for the sake of the kids. They love veggies. But for hubby, who will eat them, but would rather not know about them when eggplant and such are included. LOL

mamacat
10-26-2010, 08:34 AM
That is great! My married dd told me about a cookbook or online site that is all hidden nutrition type recipes

Learnin'2B
10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
:clap Those are great ideas! TFS!

cbmk4
10-26-2010, 11:07 AM
the book may have been Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.

abh5e8
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
:poke can't leave us hanging without some recipes mama...for the maple butternut squash and the scalloped potatoes, please. :)

cbmk4
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
well, unless I'm baking, I often don't use recipes or I take great liberties with recipes I find.

Here's how I made the Maple Butternut Squash

peel and cube the squash
coat it lightly with olive oil
sprinkle with cinnamon
bake at 375 until just fork tender
put into serving bowl and pour some maple syrup over it

Here's the Scalloped Sweet and White Potatoes

peel and thinly slice potatoes
alternate layers of potatoes and sliced onions
add some bits of soft goat cheese (or other non-dairy cheese)
pour a bit of milk over the top (evaporated works well but could substitute non dairy)
top with extra fried onions
bake at 350 until the potatoes are soft

Sorry, I can't really give you measurements, but you could adapt the quantities to your family size.