PDA

View Full Version : applesauce with a food mill?

swimming with sharks
10-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I always peel, core, and chop the apples for my applesauce and apple butter. I got a food mill, and have heard tale that I can not peel or core if I run everything through the food mill. :think Anyone?

cbmk4
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
do you mean one of those fine sieve things that has a handle you turn in the center? Why would you not be able to peel and core the apples when using it? I don't usually use a food mill (if it's what I think it is), but rather just cook the apples in the slowcooker until soft and then mash them.

ThreeKids
10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Yup, you don't have to peel and core. However, I still core them because you have to cut them anyway to cook them and then the core is bulk you'd have to keep clearing from the mill and I don't think the seed shavings would look good.

swimming with sharks
10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
:yes yep that's the kind of food mill I was thinking of. I thought it would save SOOOO MUCH TIME! BAH :hissyfit :mad :banghead It's awful. I made a batch of applesauce last nigth and thought I'd run it through the food mill this am and finish up the batch lickety splickety....NOT highly :snooty I'm still working on it :jawdrop and my arm is *KILLING* me. :doh I'll peel the apples from now on. :snooty

ThreeKids
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
The peels become so thin in the food mill. The mill should save you time.

I use one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Easy-Grip-Apple-Slicer/dp/B000SOAT0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287445360&sr=8-1

Toss out the core, cut out any bad spots (easier after slicing).

Cook the apples with a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pot.

When soft, I put them in the mill. I don't have to dump the mill often. I just reverse the direction to scrape the bottom, then pour more in. I don't do hard work until I have a lot of pulp built up from many pours, then I dump the mill and start again.

WildOlive
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe it depends on your strainer? I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-Model-Strainer-Sauce-Maker/dp/B001I7FP54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1287445907&sr=1-1) and I never peel, core, or anything. Sometimes I even just cook the apples without even quartering them. :shrug3 It turns really easy and I don't end up with any seed parts or anything in the sauce. You can also get a motor for it, but my kids like turning the crank.

Niphredil
10-18-2010, 05:09 PM
The peels become so thin in the food mill. The mill should save you time.

I use one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Easy-Grip-Apple-Slicer/dp/B000SOAT0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287445360&sr=8-1

Toss out the core, cut out any bad spots (easier after slicing).

Cook the apples with a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pot.

When soft, I put them in the mill. I don't have to dump the mill often. I just reverse the direction to scrape the bottom, then pour more in. I don't do hard work until I have a lot of pulp built up from many pours, then I dump the mill and start again.

We did this exactly (same chopper and all!) and were able to crank out 45 quarts in 2 days.

swimming with sharks
10-19-2010, 07:39 AM
:think:scratch hmmm I used the chopper :tu and then threw it all in the pot and let it cook. I'm not sure why it wasn't working. It took FOREVER to get any of the applesauce to come through the food mill. :hunh I ladeled the apples into the food mill but the skins seemed to immediately clog up the bottom. Did I put too much in at once? Am I supposed to put some in, run it through, clean the peels out and then put more apples in? :shrug3 Help!

mamajane
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
My food mill's in storage, but I really wanted to make applesauce, so...I left the skins on and cut the cores out and put the cooked apples in the blender. Voila~ perfect applesauce. The peels basically disappeared:clapIt was SO easy!

ThreeKids
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
:think:scratch hmmm I used the chopper :tu and then threw it all in the pot and let it cook. I'm not sure why it wasn't working. It took FOREVER to get any of the applesauce to come through the food mill. :hunh I ladeled the apples into the food mill but the skins seemed to immediately clog up the bottom. Did I put too much in at once? Am I supposed to put some in, run it through, clean the peels out and then put more apples in? :shrug3 Help!

Are you turning the handle backwards about one in every 10 turns?