PDA

View Full Version : How do i fix my beef stew?

Castle On A Cloud
10-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I made my very first beef stew yesterday... It came out *okay* I used about 2 cups of tomato sauce, along with some water, salt and pepper, and taco seasoning (that is what the recipe called for) It tastes very much like tomato puree. YOu know that bitter taste? Its got some of that, and it kind of makes it not very enjoyable:giggle I have got a whole crockpot of this in the fridge, and would like to know what I can do to make it taste more, beefy? Any spices? any ideas?

charla
10-15-2010, 10:28 AM
beef broth or beef bouillon and then cook it a little longer so it thickens back up? or maybe some worcestershire sauce although I'm not sure how that would go with taco flavor, but worcestershire sauce seems kinda beefy flavored? :shrug3

Macky
10-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Tomato puree gets that bitter taste from the seeds. If you make the puree without seeds, it won't be bitter. If your tomato sauce was store-bought, though, I'm stumped as to why it would have that taste (the stuff I occasionally buy doesn't). I wonder if there's some preservative in the taco seasoning that you're tasting? Not sure.

I've never made a stew without onions, so that would be my first go-to. Saute them and add them back when you simmer it to heat it up for leftovers. Salt and sugar are added in balance usually when you make fresh tomato sauce. Worcestershire sauce is an excellent suggestion, though I'm not sure it will cancel out any unwanted flavours – it's more for depth. Beef bouillon will definitely add the "beefiness" you're looking for and lots of salt, but that might help cut the bitter taste. Imo, all stews need thyme and a bay leaf or two, but I'm not sure how that will go with taco seasoning. :shrug You can always add potatoes. They soak up all sorts of flavours. :) Good luck!

rosesnsnails
10-15-2010, 10:57 AM
worcestershire sauce :)

Apple-Saucy
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I've never done a tomato based stew...or one with Taco seasonings :scratch

Anyway...I'd probably pour most of the tomato sauce off, then add some saute'd carrots and onions. Then add some beef stock.

OR. Pour most of the tomato sauce off, add beef stock and a packet of onion soup mix.

abbiroads
10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
a little sugar might help the bitter taste

Castle On A Cloud
10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Sorry, there is one huge onion cut up in there. And it is not soupy, it is super thick.

illinoismommy
10-15-2010, 04:54 PM
This is how I make beef stew, and it is very tasty, if I do say so myself. In fact I ate some tonight. :giggle I take about 6 tbsp of flour and put it in the crock pot. The flour is what makes it into a nice gravy. Throw the stew meat in chunks on top and toss with the flour so that it is coated in flour. Then put about 2 cups of water in with the meat. It will look like it is not enough and you will be tempted to add more. Do NOT add more. As the meat cooks it will get juicier and *if* you add more you need to do it near the end of the cooking so that you can see the correct amount to add.

For spices I add the following, 1 tsp worchestershire, 1 garlic clove (minced), 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp basil, 1 tsp parsley (optional), 1 tsp marjoram, 1-2 onions.

I let all of the above cook together for 3-4 hours before I add the following: 6 or so carrots, 5 potatoes. You will again be tempted to fill the water to fully cover the veggies but don't do it. Maybe just a smidgen.

Then it takes about 3 more hours to cook up the veggies. If it looks too thick after the veggies have been cooking for a while then add some water.

Some people add the veggies right away but I prefer to wait because I like soft yummy veggies but not mushy overcooked veggies. :P~

Castle On A Cloud
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Oh thank you Janet! i will have to try that next time:)

illinoismommy
10-15-2010, 05:29 PM
No problem! It always takes me some trial and error to figure food out...

Nightingale
10-15-2010, 05:35 PM
I make beef stew with V8 or similar juice, and usually throw in some random spices too. Janet's sounds super yummy, I may try that next time.

Ajani
10-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd pour off the tomato too, and add beef broth and let it go in the crockpot for a few more hours.