PDA

View Full Version : Creamy chicken soup from scratch?

Ajani
10-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I've tried twice to turn homemade chicken stock into a creamy soup, and both times I've gotten gravy. :shrug3 Tasty gravy, mind you. I'm trying to thicken it with flour and potatoes (cooking them in the stock and then pureeing it), rather than using cream. But it's just not turning out. Anyone have any suggestions? :think

racheepoo
10-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Sour cream :yes Makes an amazing soup too. I cook a whole chicken in plain water, about 3-4 quarts, for 1.5 hours and then debone and add the shredded chicken back into the water along with some better than chicken bouillon (but if you have homemade stock, so much the better). Then I turn off the heat and whisk in about 8 oz. sour cream :yum

Ajani
10-13-2010, 10:21 AM
That gives you a thick texture, too? To me creamy soups are thick (what I'm ending up with is the texture of somewhat thinned gravy).

racheepoo
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, it significantly thickens it :yep you could also use a little cornstarch and whisk it in.

Mama Rophe
10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.vefaknoxville.org/recipes/dairy-free-condensed-cream-of-chicken-soup/

I use this recipie to make a condensed soup to use in casseroles. I have just added more liquid and some shredded chicken and ate it as a soup too. Bonus is that it's dairy free.

Niphredil
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
http://www.vefaknoxville.org/recipes/dairy-free-condensed-cream-of-chicken-soup/

I use this recipie to make a condensed soup to use in casseroles. I have just added more liquid and some shredded chicken and ate it as a soup too. Bonus is that it's dairy free.

Every tried making this up in advance and freezing it? I mean, a big part of the lure of canned condensed soups is the ease of crockpot dumping.

Mama Rophe
10-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I haven't tried freezing it, but if I know I'll need it within the week, I'll make it up and put it in the fridge.

Aerynne
10-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Are you starting with water or milk? Milk would be creamier.

Also you can add mayo. Or cheese. Or just blend up some of the soup (esp if it has potatoes) and pour it back in.

TuneMyHeart
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
are you trying to make something like condensed soup, or just a creamier chicken noodle soup? I have a recipe for chicken noodle soup that has evaporated milk in it (you could use cream to make it even richer).

Ajani
10-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm starting with homemade stock. Maybe I should use a roux? Then add the potatoes and puree it all.

I just want a nice, thick soup with a chicken stock base that doesn't taste like gravy. :giggle

ViolaMum
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Here's how I make "cream" of veggie soups: Saute the aromatics (onions, garlic, ginger, etc) add diced potatoes and any seasonings. Soften the potatoes a bit, then add stock and whatever veggie you are using for the soup (like butternut squash, tomatoes, carrots). Cook until the everything is done, then whir it up with a blender for a thick creamy soup. At that point you could add cooked chicken for a cream of chicken soup.

Ajani
10-14-2010, 09:09 AM
I think that's part of my problem. I'm adding veggies straight to the stock without sauteing them like I normally would. So they aren't developing proper flavour.